Volume pot woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volume pot woes

The volume pot is getting very wobbly on my Model 4. I tighten it down and a few days later it gets loose again. Think it's time to replace it?

Also, for some reason, the knob itself likes to wiggle itself loose often. Any thoughts?

Re: Volume pot woes

the threads on the pots or the threads on the nut may be getting stripped and vibrating loose (especially if you use the vol. knob alot). As a temp fix you could use a little white glue on the threads to keep it from vibrating loose, or you could go to the hardware store and find a locking washer that fits it.
    As for the knob, it is the set screw type right? At least mine is. Try turning the knob around a few degrees and tightening it up on a new surface on the pot shaft.
    If those don't work, you may need a whole new pot. My model 4 had 50k pots on the active circuit-not sure where you can get those. Good Luck!

Comment

Try a lock washer. Make sure you hold the potentiometer from the back when you tighten the nut. If you don't, it won't be that tight.

Comment

Don't put a friggin lock washer on it! Damn, I can just picture someone running down to the local hardware store and getting a big 'ol 3/8" split lockwasher and cranking it down on the top of that poor wood. There's no reason that volume pot should keep working loose unless you're just not tightening it up snug to begin with. The nut doesn't need to be real tight (like where it cracks the finish) but you should snug it down good until the pot doesn't rotate in the mounting hole. Unless you're being stupid with the volume knob it shouldn't work loose for a long time.
        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Don't put a friggin lock washer on it! Damn, I can just picture someone running down to the local hardware store and getting a big 'ol 3/8" split lockwasher and cranking it down on the top of that poor wood. There's no reason that volume pot should keep working loose unless you're just not tightening it up snug to begin with. The nut doesn't need to be real tight (like where it cracks the finish) but you should snug it down good until the pot doesn't rotate in the mounting hole. Unless you're being stupid with the volume knob it shouldn't work loose for a long time.

[/ QUOTE ]

The lock washer idea doesn't sound like the way to go. I do use my volume knob a lot, and the pot is really old. I'm also developing a noticeable crackle when I use it on my clean channel, and I'm not getting that with any other guitars.

Comment

You guys must think I started playing yesterday. I'm talking about the lock washers made for this purpose.
            HERE
            http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Components:_Control_pots_and_knobs/Lock_washers.html

Comment

OK. Looks like you'll have to copy/paste into the address bar. Oh yeah, and for the dust, Get some TV tuner cleaner. The pot may just be dirty. It also may be shot. (big help that is) If you need a new one, It will more than likely come with the lock washer I'm talking about.

Comment

Working...
              X