Filling pickup cavities? Any tips...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filling pickup cavities? Any tips...

What have you found that works best? I've seen some that looked great for a while and then seemed that the filler that was used settled and left it sunk in.What do you guys think? Thanks....
    Straightjacket Memories.Sedative Highs...........

Re: Filling pickup cavities? Any tips...

To do it properly so it will last, you really need to put a laminate over the whole front of the guitar.
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

It is like spackling a large hole in a wall-no matter how much you fill it, sand it, paint it, whatever, it will never look quite right. You definitely have to put a veneer over it of some sort.

Comment

I agree with both above statements.

Comment

To add, a veneer with some rigidness is best to use. Paper thin veneers will not expose the seams of the fill, but often will sink in time and show a dip in the surface.

Comment

Put a sticker over it. When that tears, get a new sticker.

Comment

I was actually talking to a guy who was doing construction (drywalling) in our store last night, and what he said they do is to actually run a thin coat of the spackle or joint compound over the entire wall to cover up large repairs so they don't show through the paint. I don't know how well that would work on a guitar though.

Comment

I would NOT spackle a guitar.

Comment

I used a solid piece of poplar taller than the route and sanded it flat after it was glued in place.Of course veneer over the top but this way could most likely be primed and painted as well with no dips or anything.The link to the project thread:

Here

To get it in the exact shape of the route just take a piece of paper and pull it tight over the cavity.Using the side of a pencil lead go over the whole route until you have the complete shape.Take that paper and trace the thick outside lines onto your wood.I used a jigsaw to cut the rough shape and then did the fine details with a dremel until it fit nice and snug in the route.

Comment

Working...
                  X