Non recessed floyd question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non recessed floyd question.

Those of you with non recessed floyds (or those who may know anyway [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]), do you have to sacrifice action adjustment to have the floyd resting on the body or am I missing something stupid? I just got a guitar with a non recessed floyd and the action is too low. I want to raise the trem posts, but then the trem will be angled back to rest on the body. Is this the point where you just have to block it from the backside spring cavity? What's the preferred method?

Thanks

Re: Non recessed floyd question.

<font color="yellow">Release some tension on the springs to make the back of the bridge level with the body....nothing to it. </font>

Comment

Right, but then it won't be resting on the body. That was basically my question. Can you raise the action, but still have the trem resting on the body or do you have to block it at that point? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I think I would block it rather than have it rest on the body, because the angle may end up pretty extreme after you get your action raised. I just think the trem was designed to sit level for best performance. Blocking a trem is not hard to do &amp; Sully has a great sticky topic on it in this section. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I just reread the sticky topic &amp; it looks like Chuck actually wrote it. Not sure whether it was Chuckracer or Chucksplatter, but whoever wrote it did a great job.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Right, but then it won't be resting on the body. That was basically my question. Can you raise the action, but still have the trem resting on the body or do you have to block it at that point? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="yellow">OK..I'm confused....why do you want a trem equipped guitar if you want it against the body [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Why not get a hardtail or TOM or some other bridge??

Just a question....I dunno....I use a tremsetter in my Floyd equipped guitars, no problems. </font>

Comment

<font color="aqua">He may not do upward pulls Sam and he may like the stability that a blocked trem gives. Just a thought. </font>
            Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

<font color="yellow">I guess it is something I'll never understand Dave.... [img]/images/graemlins/refuse.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] </font>

Comment

<font color="aqua">ahh, it's just a matter of taste bro. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]</font>
                Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Thanks for the responses. Yes, I want the floyd blocked to only do downward bends. I just assumed that the guys with non recessed floyds actualy had them resting on the body rather than blocking them in back. I thought that was just a recessed floyd thing. That's what I get for thinking [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]. Anyhoo, I have a Woflgang and it rests on the body, but that action is great where it is , so I've left it. However, it is an archtop, so the Floyd is actually "semi-recessed" I believe is what hey call it. Now I have a GMW strat Charvel type guitar where the floyd is completely non recessed and it's just a little different. I will try blocking it though and will refer to Chuckracers' sticky topic on the matter. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                  I was just curious what some of the others do with their non recessed floyds. How many are set up as floating bridges?

Comment

my only non-recessed Floyd actually floats a way off the body (and level). You can actually pull up on it slightly.

I guess if the action is too low for you and you don't want to raise the trem off the body, you could shim the front (headstock end) of the neck pocket to reduce the neck angle. Shouldn't take much. A bit of card would do it.
                    Hail yesterday

Comment

I don't think you could rest the trem on the body of a J/C non recessed guitar and still play it wouldn't the strings lay on the fretboard?I like mine up a little and to float.I've had a few wolfies and the trems sat right on the body I wasn't all that impressed.
                      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Using my Shannon as a reference, there is NO WAY you could crank the trem down so that it rests on the body without the 24th fret BENDING THE STRINGS backwards. The way it's designed, the trem is floating wayyyyy off the body and I can pull up on the bar as much as a non-recessed Floyd-style bridge. It's just a higher-floating Floyd that has a 4 degree neck angle to compensate and bring the neck closer to the strings to keep the action tolerable.

Comment

I have a question as I'm still a newbie to Floyd Rose trems, is my trem blocked, because it only goes downward, BUT I don't see what is blocking my trem??? One thing is that the trem is installed inside the body... Also, what do you guys mean when you say that the trem should be "parallel" with the body, and how can I tell if my trem is recessed/non-recessed by looking at it, and other things???

Comment

Holy Smokes! I need to load up the camera and go to work, don't I?

OK, Eric: Your trem sitting flat (or close to it) on the body is how I set my strats up. The action is a careful dance between neck angle and bridge height. I actually like my bridge leaning back just a little, so if yous is flat, you can raise it by the studs. Just unlock it and drop the pitch by half a turn on the machine heads, then raise it. As it comes up, it will also come back (lean back) a little and raise the pitch of the strings and that's why you unlocked it.
                            If it's already leaning back, you get to shim the neck. Congratulations! This is totally trial and error, mostly error, and will take a few trys. You'll be good at limiting your steps and guessing thickness' by the time you are done. Let me save you a little time and hair: Start with a business card in the pocket, then go to two, ETC.
                            Loosen the strings in pairs as dictated by the locknut. Keep tension on the as you loosen a few turns, then lock them down, each pair as you go. This way you won't loose the tight windings on the machine heads.
                            Lift the Floyd off with the strings attached, flip it over and set it aside. Unscrew the neck, lift off guitar (straight up!) insert or remove shim, reassemble, retighten strings close to pitch (remember to tesionn them before you unlock - a pair at a time), rough setup, and see how you did. Repeat as necessary.

NOP and Richard: Your Shannon is a very different animal than a bolt on strat style, which the Wolf basically is. The Shannon has a 4 degree (I think) neck angle so the bridge WILL sit above the body, so you can float and pull up and go horribly out of tune if you break a string live and can't even muff your way to the end of the song have the bridge flopping around with every pluck of a string and totally kill any hope of sustain or tone your guitar may be capable of. Can you tell I really like Floating Floyds?

LPC: A Floyd sitting on the body sounds as good as a hardtail, and you can still divebomb, but has none of the drawbacks of a Floater, just a few of which I may have mentioned.

Metal Maniac: A "Recessed Flyod" sits slightly down into the body, whereas a "Non Recessed sits either flat on top, or a bit above the body.
                            Parallel refers to the bottom plate (where the saddles sit) being on the same plane as the top of the geeter. Sight it from the side.
                            What kind of guitar? Make/Model/Year?

Comment

Now that's what I was hoping for [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. Thanks Chuck. Very helpful indeed. I will be playing around with it quite a bit this weekend I see [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]. I'll definitely let you know how it goes. I also need to get pics up this weekend. It is a beautiful GMW.

Comment

Working...
                              X