Replacement pickups for 550XL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement pickups for 550XL

I am thinking of changing the stock Jackson pickups (J90C and hotrail) in my 550XL for EMG's but can't decide whether to go for 81 or 85 in the bridge and SA or A in the neck. There is of course just a volume control and I don't want to cut up the axe. I'm after a higher output and a sort of Hammett like sound. Anyone any experience of what to go for? Some postings say 81 is too bright?

Re: Replacement pickups for 550XL

An 85 is a pickup designed for the neck position. I would go for an 81 if you want a Hammet type tone seeing as thats the pickup he uses, and you can never have a guitar that too bright. **** I would rather have a super bright guitar and then turn down the treble then have a dull guitar and wishing it sounded more alive. As for the SA or A I have no idea.

Comment

Allow me to be the first (of many) in this thread to sing the praises of the 85 in the bridge position. It offers a crushing metal sound. The 81 is nice too, and is, I believe, Hammett's preference, but it can get kinda brittle to my ears. Either one is nice. I can't advise you on the S or SA.

Comment

If you were considering passive pickups at all, a Duncan Distortion in the bridge will sound monstrous. My brother uses one in his 550XL and has been very happy with it.
        sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X