ghs Fast Fret

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ghs Fast Fret

Anyone use this?? What do you think of this stuff? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

A few mos. ago my guitar tech guy did a set-up for me and threw some new boomers on there as well. The strings felt smoother and my guitar smelled funny, like a "I want to smell this and get a marker-high" kinda way. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    I asked him what he did, and he told me he rubbed some fast fret on there.
    Alright.

Now I'm extremely picky about my fretboards and strings- I have my own routine, but I trust Mr. Tech. and decided to give this stuff a whirl since he said it'd help my strings last longer. And it does. It is cool stuff. And did I mention I like how it smells??
    Pretty nifty. BUT. I have noticed that this stuff builds up along the fretwire (yes, I wipe each indiv. string down and the fretboard too every time I use it). Does this happen to you? I don't use much of it but I apply it daily per instructions.
    Just wonderin'. Thanks.

Em

Re: ghs Fast Fret

i tried it, hated the feel, and have never used it again.

sull
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

<font color="aqua">I had used this stuff in the past, and yes, it's ok but I just stopped buying it because I just felt there was really no need for it any longer. As for the build up, I can tell you that a lot of users of this stuff, rub it hard onto the strings and the substance comes out of that "brush type thing" in a gloppy fashion. You shouldn't rub too hard, you should apply it lightly so that it just coats the strings. This will keep your fretboard cleaner and it will make the product last much longer. Always keep it in the container too. Hope that helps!

</font>
      Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

You might try folding a piecer of newspaper and putting it between the strings and fretboard when you apply the stuff to avoid it getting on the frets or fretboard.

I do that and apply WD-40 to the strings for the same effect at much lower cost. Then when I wipe down each string after playing the crud comes right off. It doesn't smell cool unless
        you dig WD-40 though (I do, actually). I don't do this daily though, just when I change strings, and if they start holding crud and 'm too lazy to change strings might aply it again and let it sit for 10 minutes, then scrape the crud off with a rag on each string.

I carefully protect the guitar's body from the WD-40 though!
        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I have some and only use it occasionally (and yes, I like the smell too...). I'm not sure why I don't use it more, I just don't think of it I guess.

Comment

Thanks Sully, Dave, Lerx and JB.

I'm not sure how I like the stuff yet- I'm not a fan of slippery strings, which is why I don't use Elixirs anymore.
            But I DO love the smell of this stuff! Hahahaha!!
            I go through strings like mad and this stuff helps.

Anyway- good points. I am probably using too much then, I will go lighter with it. Yes, I keep it in its handy dandy tube but I don't use that lame little piece of cloth it came with. It was a nice touch though.

The WD40 is a grand idea! A little of that goes a super long way I bet- would last forever. I'll give that a try as well and be sure to cover the fretboard when I do. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
            The smell doesn't bother me. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Cheers,
            Em

Comment

isn't it just easier to change the strings? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              Sully Guitars on Google+
              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                isn't it just easier to change the strings? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ] Dude, I was just thinking the same thing as I read this thread. WD40?!?!?! WTF? Not on my guitars EVER. I'll spend the $3.99 for a new set of strings. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                Scott
                Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

I use the Fast Fret in moderation. Usually about every other time I play, I'll wipe the strings down lightly. No WD for me [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Dude, I was just thinking the same thing as I read this thread. WD40?!?!?! WTF? Not on my guitars EVER. I'll spend the $3.99 for a new set of strings. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">Well, I guess we know the guys who have the big bucks eh? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] </font>
                    Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      [ QUOTE ]
                      [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">Well, I guess we know the guys who have the big bucks eh? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] </font>

[/ QUOTE ] Yeah man, I'm a high roller for sure! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                      Scott
                      Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm... yeah. Probably is. [img]/images/graemlins/eyes.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                        I'm still tryin' it though! Its not like I have a Jackson or Charvel. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          [ QUOTE ]
                          [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] i get my strings for 1.99/pack! i'm the highest of rollers!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

sully
                          Sully Guitars on Google+
                          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I use the Fast Fret every once in a while. I like the feel of the slippery strings, and I like the smell. It does sound like you're using a bit too much. I just run the doohickey up and down the strings lightly a couple of times, and then wipe it off.
                            Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I use fast fret and it does smell ok,But I do 2 strings at a time from the saddle to the nut and wipe it right down I don't press hard I don't like it on the fretboard.I have had the same container for about 3 years now and use it every other time I play that particular guitar and my strings last a long time.I don't seem to have any crud build up problem I guess I'm not cruddy. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                              X