KV1 Tuners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KV1 Tuners

Anybody know if those cylindrical tuners used on a KV1 are still made? By whom? They're locking right? Thanks!!

Re: KV1 Tuners

LSR's. I believe they still make them.

http://members.aol.com/intertunei/LSR.tuners/
    We must!
    We must!
    We must increase the bust!
    The bigger the better!
    The tighter the sweater!
    The boys are counting on us!

Comment

I'm pretty sure they still make em. They get good comments usually...

Comment

I've got 2 KV-1's with 'em and I wouldn't trade them for the world. I heard that LSR went out of business for a couple of years, but now they are back or another company is making them. I haven't been able to find a dealer here in cincinnati who can get them (or some guys who have never heard of them) ( ??!!). I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong...

Comment

Unless you find a store or service guy who just happens to have them, you have to order them direct:

LSR website

I like 'em, but they're a bit pricey (~$120 for a set of six).
          please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

I also have a KV-1 with them, and they are excellent. Wish I had another guitar with them. String change is very fast - well no floyd helps I suppose. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

I just bought some last month and put them on my RR1T. IMO they are better than Shaller and Sperzel. Check out the avitar.

Comment

What kind of modifications, if any, did you have to do to install them? I've been thinking about putting a set on my KE1QT but am hesitant to mess with anything (drilling bigger holes in the headstock, etc.).

Comment

Thanks a lot guys! Super helpful.

Comment

Damagecase27, I had to drill out the original tuner hole to 25/64". The original hole is almost the right size but has a flange that you have to remove. I thought it might be tough so I took off the original tuners and found that I didn't have to drill into the black plastic headstock cap so decided to do it. It was easy and only took about 45 minutes to do, I was careful and took my time. I could easily be done in 20 minutes by a pro.

Comment

Yeah, the standard Gotoh key hole is "stepped" so the hole in the front of the peghead is smaller than the one coming out the back. To use the LSR (or Sperzel, or Planet Waves, or Steinberger) locking tuners you have to remove that "step."

The first time I ever did that to a guitar (installing some Sperzels) I just drilled, and tore a nice little chunk out of the peghead face when I did. So I wouldn't suggest doing it that way! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Instead, get a Dremel tool and use a small diameter sanding wheel to SLOWLY grind it out of there. Let me reinforce the notion of TAKING YOUR TIME with this kind of modification!
                      please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

KV_X and Necro........Thanks!! I had heard that you had to make a slight mod to the headstock,
                        but I didn't know how difficult it would be. I'll probably have someone do it for me though, because I'll be SICK if I screw it up!!! [img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img] Thanks again guys!!

Comment

Working...
                        X