Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kahler for Floyd nut

Hello!

I thought there was a post about this in here already. I cannot find it. Sorry if I overlooked it. Just redirect me and I will go away. [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Anyway, on a model 5 I would like to change my kahler locking nut behind the regular nut (eliminate both) and put on a floyd type.

Is it possible?

Is it difficult?

How do I do it?

What color in stain matches violin brown, anyway? (figured I would throw that in there) - [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Thank you immensely in advance.

Re: Kahler for Floyd nut

I would leave it alone assuming the kahler style lock is working fine.If you are changing because of looks and not because of a broken part IMO you are doing needless work.
    The kahler behind the nut lock works just as well as the floyd nut.It can be done but I wouldn't want to devalue the guitar.5s and 6s are bringing good prices right now.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I agree with Richard. Leave it alone. There's only about 1/4" of string between the clamp and nut (on the Kahler system), and that's not going to cause you any tuning problems. You're going to have WAY more problems converting it to a Floyd nut (although it can be done).
      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I have noticed that Kahler nuts tend to wear out and stop holding the string. This can be tested by placing your fingers on the strings behind the lock and dive bombing the arm and feeling if the strings are moving up there. If they move you need to either flip the lock block over or replace them.

Comment

Thanks for the back up mm2002.

Comment

Thank you for the advice. If you would.... Lets pretend for a second that I have no option.

How would it be done?

Is there a formula to measure distance between the 12th to the bridge and the nut?

Where is the measurement taken?

From the nut edge closest to the 12th or furthest from?

What is the measure point on the bridge?

Thanks again.

Ron

Comment

Scale length divided by 2 is the distance from the nut to the 12th fret, and from the saddle to the 12th fret. 25 1/2" scale length = 12 3/4" from the 12th fret either way.
              My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I just removed the lock on my Model 6 w/Kahler. I will probably replace the stock tuners with Sperzel locking tuners but for now it works fine and I don't have to deal with those doggone wrenches [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I'm with you-pitch that behind-the-nut lock and have a Floyd locking nut put on it. In thoery it should work just fine. In reality, they work like crap.
                  But, have a pro do it. It's tricky on a tilt-back headstock.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    I'm with you-pitch that behind-the-nut lock and have a Floyd locking nut put on it. In thoery it should work just fine. In reality, they work like crap.
                    But, have a pro do it. It's tricky on a tilt-back headstock.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the nut is cut correctly the Kahler lock works great. I've been a tech since 1987, and there is no problem geting them to work.

Comment

Sounds like I should have a pro do it.... Thanks for all the responses guys.

Ron

Comment

Roy, I've heard that more than once, and perhaps the twenty or so Charvels and early Jacksons I've owned with behind-the-nut locks on them were set up wrong, but not a one of them would handle me stuffing the bar into the front of that guitar and coming back in tune.

Comment

The key is all in having the nut back cut down to the lock. I have a good friend that plays EVH covers, and his guitar has the kahler style lock set up by me, and he never has any tuning problems. There is no doudt that the floyd nut is simpler to deal with, but you have to devalue the guitar to use it. I like the sound of the conventional nut/ Kahler lock better than the Floyd nut (just my two cents).

Roy

Comment

I do like the lower overall profile offered by the Kahler style string lock.

Comment

Like Roy says the graphite nut has to be back cut properly for it to work like it should.I've had to back cut quite a few.

Comment

Working...
                              X