Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strange neck or fret problems with my jackson!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange neck or fret problems with my jackson!

THis is very strange. I have a 2001 Jackson SL2H I bought new. I havent played it in a while as I have been playing ohters and I went to play it tonite and I noticed a strange condition, a wicked fret buzz on the high E string about anywhere on the neck. Well I tried adjusting the truss rod with no results. the rest of the action is fine. Then I noticed the frets on the high E side of the neck are lifted a tiny bit from the neck. Most of the frets are lifted. I tried to seat them a bit with a hammer and a block of wood so I didnt damage the frets, but they wont seat back down. I can push the frets down and watch them move down flush on the fret board, then they spring back up when I let off pressure. What the hell is causing this? do I have a twisted neck? warped? WTF? is this curable? or is this thing become firewood? This really sucks!!! [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] OK, I keep the guitar in a pretty controlled enviroment. It hasnt seen ANY temperature extremes, or anything that would really affect it. I have only giged with it a few times. Its been fine until now. What can you tell me about this? what should I do? Any help is appreciated. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] Thanks!
    "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Re: Strange neck or fret problems with my jackson!

Don, got your PM.
    Its hard for me to give the correct advice without inspecting it myself.
    But, is this a pre Fender Jackson?
    Many pre Fender's had the fret slots over slotted causing the frets to unseat... at least most of them that came thru me for repairs..
    I found this problem pretty regularly on many late model, pre Fenders...
    To get the frets to seat again, you will need to drop some CA glue at the ends where its unseating and then either clamp it down with a radius block, or arbor press with a caul..
    Or, there is a punch like tool from stew mac that you use to press teh ends down while the glue dries.
    You can buy the tool or make one yourself...

If you're not comfertable doing this task, Id suggest you take it to a local shop.. but then again.. knowing where you live that may not be an option...

Let me know how it comes out.

Comment

My buddy has a pre-fender SL1 and about a year ago he came to me with the same problem. Scott is right on the money though. If your comfortable enough, I would try and get my hands on radius block. It's not that difficult as long as you take your time and be patient.

Let us know how it goes.
      "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

Holy Crap! This is a warranty issue for sure!

Comment

I think your right about the warranty thing dude. Especially with another guitar, same model, same issue. Something tells me there are more out there with the same issue.

Comment

Working...
          X