Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project Time :) Need some suggestions/tips please

Hey [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Im planning a Warmoth strat project, and I have some questions about some certain options.

First off, BRIDGES!

I want some sort of tremolo. Floyds are cool, tried and proven. But they are pretty complicated.

Then there is the Wilkinson bridge. . . .mmm. . .simple, I like it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

What would you choose? of options: (ps.Trying to save cash)

A. Schaller Floyd Rose / Floyd Locking Nut / Grover locking tuners
    or
    B. Wilkinson / LSR Roller Nut / Grover locking tuners.

Can anyone tell me about their personal experiences with the Wilkinson? Do you have enough courage to dive bomb with it? ect.

~~~~~~
    Second,
    The stainless steel fret's extra life span is a VERY cool feature, but I have heard people saying that it feels too slippery. Has anyone tried the Stainless Steel frets, and are they truly slippery to the point where it feels awkward?

Thank you so much! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Re: Project Time Need some suggestions/tips please

I would play one to see if you like it. I've passed on a few cool used guitars just because it had a Wilkinson. If you're gonna whammy, get a Floyd. If not go hard tail. Actually, I think I like a vintage trem with the springs tightened up the best.

Comment

Re: Project Time Need some suggestions/tips please

[ QUOTE ]
      I would play one to see if you like it. I've passed on a few cool used guitars just because it had a Wilkinson. If you're gonna whammy, get a Floyd. If not go hard tail. Actually, I think I like a vintage trem with the springs tightened up the best.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I like the feel of a vintage trem as well, but mine dont tend to stay in tune real well. But its *probably* from the nut pinching the strings and shoddy tuners.

If I were to get some high-quality locking tuners, and a LSR or some nut with healthy wide slots (no pinching), would I be alright with a vintage style trem?

Van halen used vintage trems in the early days and didn't really have many problems, did he? Dont remember him having to ever re-tune in the middle of Eruption [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Re: Project Time Need some suggestions/tips pl

I had a Wilkinson in a project guitar but ended up having it replaced with a Floyd. I didn't have the best nut on the guitar but I couldn't use the whammy at all. It does have a nice solid feel and doesn't feel cheap. I may still use it in a strat project one day.
        http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

If you're gonna whammy, get a Floyd. I like a vintage trem tightened down, but I don't use the bar. It's like a hard tail.

Comment

It's not just black and white, like either Floyd or hard tail. It depends on your playing style. V-trems work fine for moderate usage and stay in tune very well as long as you have everything else set up correctly. If you're style is EVH style dives, then definitely go with the Floyd.
            My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Floyd Rose baby! Need I say more? They are really not that much harder to deal with than anything else. Just have to get used to it.

Comment

You CAN use a Fender trem for deeper dives - I saw evidence of it at NAMM. This guy (Freddie Demarco) was diving on a Strat and stayed in tune. Of course, he also had some sort of roller nut. Not sure if it was an LSR or Wilkinson or whut, but it worked. I saw it with my own 4 eyes.

However, if you wanna do flutters and Vai tricks and crash dives, you need a Floyd.

Locking tuners with a Floyd AND locking nut is overkill. Cheapass tuners that get the strings tight until you lock the nut is good enough. I've done it; I know it.

Newc
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

If you intend to use the whammy bar, Floyd is the only choice. If you do not intend to use the bar, go stop tail/TOM.

Comment

i use a wilkinson trem on my PS-7. i dive bomb and do trem flutters and it works fine. it has a graphite nut and standard jackson tuners. i just can't do pull ups like with a recessed Floyd.

i have the wilkinson raised up off the body about 1/4 of an inch and the bar is locked in position so it stays tight. i use three springs and .009 gauge strings. i stretch the strings a lot when i'm tuning up, and the nut slots are cut a little wide (.012" on the low e). it works great.
                    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X