EMG install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG install

OK, CRAP. I've been trying to solder up my EMG set to my 750XL with the "Megaswitch" Supercomplicated 5way. I got the diagrams off of the web page and I've looked at the wires in my Les Paul with the ZW emg setup. Still I'm doing something wrong. I get no sound at all. I get buzz when I turn the volume up but no strings??? Anyone out there have experiance hooking up teh ZW set to a 750 or anything that uses this 5way?
    Thanks so much.
    Donovan

Re: EMG install

Is there a way to hook two EMGs up to a five-way switch? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] Might as well just get a regular three-way switch to make things less complicated, since the 81 and 85 are not splittable. Two extra positions on a switch when you can only get three sounds would be annoying anyway.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

superswitch is no use, since you cannot split regular EMGs (like the 81 or 85), if you had a dual 89 it would have worked, but since it does not seem you have those, I guess you should find yourself a nice 3 way switch [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Harrald

Comment

The ZW wiring is different.Than say reg L.P.wiring but the mega switch in not going to work in this application use a 3-way and make sure you wire the input jack correctly,the symptom you describe is what happens when the input jack is wired backwards.Hope that helps.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Hey there guys, I think I may have figured it out????? I soldered the hot leads (white wire) to the two old hot tabs. I then soldered a jumper to where the old black wire went(hot for second coil? I think.) So now I get 1-2 is bridge 3 is both pickups and 4-5 is the neck pickup. Does this sound like it makes any sence? Vol and Tone seem to work OK and the pickups sound good too. It seems like it is a bit noisy but I think the Paul is noisy too.It my be my compression???? Thanks for your input.

Comment

If it works, cool. Makes a little sense that 1-2 is bridge and 4-5 is neck, but I wasn't sure you could do it that way. Seems a bit redundant to have two extra positions doing the same thing, though.
            As far as being noisy, do you mean you hear hiss while not playing, and it cleans up when the volume control is turned down? That's normal with EMGs and any kind of active electronics.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

anyone got a plain ol emg 81/no tone knob wiring diagram? they don't have one on their site, and i need one.

sully
              Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
              Sully Guitars on Facebook
              Sully Guitars on Google+
              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                anyone got a plain ol emg 81/no tone knob wiring diagram? they don't have one on their site, and i need one.

sully

[/ QUOTE ]

Sully working on EMGs, that's new. Are you trying to murder the EMG? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Fong

Comment

Hey Sully, all you have to do is delete the capacitor and black wire running from the volume pot to the tone pot. Take the lug on the volume pot the black wire ran to and solder it to the back of the pot.

Something to keep in mind, typically tone controls (like on the EMG) branch off from the volume control and can be removed just by removing the components. None of the pickup, volume, jack wiring need to be modified.

Comment

Isn't EMG wiring the same as nonactive, but with that addition of the red battery lead and the addition of a negative lug on the Jack? I would think that you could follow any diagram for a Single nonsplit hum adding the red wirefrom the 81 and the black wire from tha jack to a battery clip.

Jim, I like your new avatar! God, do I want another Cuda. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
                    "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

Yeah, the only difference in the EMG is you don't run the grounds to a bridge. But you still ground everything together as usual.

I hear that there will be a crate Cuda available at some point in the near future. You get the whole body, fenders, and valances.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Hey Sully, all you have to do is delete the capacitor and black wire running from the volume pot to the tone pot. Take the lug on the volume pot the black wire ran to and solder it to the back of the pot.

Something to keep in mind, typically tone controls (like on the EMG) branch off from the volume control and can be removed just by removing the components. None of the pickup, volume, jack wiring need to be modified.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's what i was figuring, but lemme confirm.

after the tone pot has been disconnected, i go ahead and solder that lug back, and to the pot. there is a black wire coming from the jack that i've soldered to the lug that was connected to the tone pot. the white wire from the jack is soldered to the middle lug, and the black jack wire is soldered to the typical "grounded" lug.

is this correct? i'm not getting any sound... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

this week has been wiring hell.

sully
                        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                        Sully Guitars on Facebook
                        Sully Guitars on Google+
                        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Hey Damit! Stay on topic!!! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                          Most of the stuff is just follow the old connection points. The ZW kit comes with the new pots and plug jack so it all gets replaced. The EMGs should be treated as just an old style single conductor PU as far as connecting them to the vol/tone/switch. However I was trying to re use the super switch thing that splits the coils. Can't do that with the 81-85 EMGs so I guessed on the jumper part and it seems to have worked?? I'm just not %100 sure it all is working as it's supposed to. I know how the switch turns on/off the pickups, and it seems to sound OK?????

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            after the tone pot has been disconnected, i go ahead and solder that lug back, and to the pot. there is a black wire coming from the jack that i've soldered to the lug that was connected to the tone pot. the white wire from the jack is soldered to the middle lug, and the black jack wire is soldered to the typical "grounded" lug.
                            sully

[/ QUOTE ]

You see!! i knew you were up to no good! Poor little EMG. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Fong [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that's what i was figuring, but lemme confirm.

is this correct? i'm not getting any sound... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

this week has been wiring hell.

sully

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats right, you should have one of the pot grounds running to the volume pot and either grounded on the back, or in that grounded outer lug. It sounds like you have it right. The grounds shouldn't really matter which ground lug they are on as they go to the same place and are just acting as a switch on that jack (to connect and disconnect battery power). The only lug you have to be positive is correct on the output jack is the hot. Make sure that hot wire goes to the lug that goes to the tallest contact on the jack.

Comment

Working...
                              X