No announcement yet.

Guitar Storage - Strings or no Strings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar Storage - Strings or no Strings?

So I searched a little and did not find anything for guitar storage. If I plan on putting a guitar away in its case for six months, should I store it with or without strings on? If strings are on, should I tune down a little to remove some of the tension? Some people seem to think taking all of the strings off is bad for the neck... I don't think it should make much of a difference. Thanks in advance to everyone.
    [img]/images/graemlins/help.gif[/img]

Re: Guitar Storage - Strings or no Strings?

For long time storage i would keep the strings on.

I think the string pull and the truss rod pull combined, will zero the neck so to speak. I would prefer my storaged guitars to have the same neck bow as my active guitars. Why leave it for months in a back bowed position? Just my opinion.
    Henrik
    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

According to my tech (he's a fanatical bloke), guitars should be stored with the strings at standard tuning. He does recommend that strings be de-tuned 1/2 step during shipping from one extreme climate to another.
      "POOP"

Comment

I always put strings on and leave them in the cases when I don't play.
        I hate dust.

Comment

From experience, if I put a guitar away (it does depend on the guitar) If it's not played, it may pull on the neck or might not be a problem. I just loosen the strings but don't take them completely off just to be safe. I've had guitars that need a truss adjust after sitting and I've had some that need nothing.

It's funny cause I teach guitar, and I see a lot of beginners that get a guitar from an uncle or something. It's been in the closet for 20 years tuned to pitch. Yikes! No savin' that neck. Bent like a ski jump! If the strings have been loose for years, the neck seems alright.

I guess what I'm saying is 6 months may not be too bad, but you never know. Does the guitar in question need regular adjusting?

Comment

Six months isn't very long. I'd leave it be.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              I see a lot of beginners that get a guitar from an uncle or something. It's been in the closet for 20 years tuned to pitch. Yikes! No savin' that neck. Bent like a ski jump!

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably more due to the build quality of the guitar in question than anything else. I have one that at one point sat in a case strung and tuned to pitch for over ten years and the neck is still perfect to this day. Also doesn't make much sense in that I know people who've owned and played their guitars daily for well over 20 years (the guitars were, of course, always strung and tuned to pitch) who have had no such neck problems. The force the strings exert on the neck is the same whether the guitar is stored in its case under a bed or kept on a stand and played every day so if the former causes massive warpage the latter must also.
              Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

^ has a point. if it was "necessary" to loosen the strings, then pretty much all guitars would be fukked after a few years of existence, use or no use.
                "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

What YAO said. I also don't buy the whole theory about how you should change one guitar string at a time because the neck will go out of whack if you take them all off. For years I just about always take all the strings off (even on my Floyded guitars) and have never had a problem.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I'd leave it be. If it's a good, well built guitar then it should be fine.

Comment

Thanks to everyone that replied.
                      [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

6 months is fine. ive talked with a more than a few techs & vintage collectors about this. loosen the strings & also loosen the truss rod slightly for long term storage. make sure humidity is controlled, that will cause more problems than string tension. make sure the guitar is standing upright also check that the inside of the case does not hit the guitar. like how some pointy headstocks hit the back of the case.....THATS BAD & will cause warpage long term.

Comment

Working...
                        X