Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2 humbucker - neck pickup always louder...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 humbucker - neck pickup always louder...?

I have a gtr with two Kent Armstrong "ultra-distortion" humbuckers (damn good pickups) both the same model, and the neck one gives a much louder signal. the difference is less obvious when i split the coils.

My guess is that since the neck pu is closer to the middle of the strings, the vibration pattern above it is wider, so it gets more fluctuation in its magnetic field. makes sense?
    "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
    The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Re: 2 humbucker - neck pickup always louder...?

Part of the problem may also be due to more bass frequencies in the neck position. Many pickups designed for the neck position have less bass output than pickups designed for the bridge. Splitting the coils will produce less bass. Your idea of the string vibrational pattern makes sense too.

Comment

I agree with jazzman. Neck position generates more bass output, which to the human ear, sounds louder. It has more body so to speak. I've had the "problem" many times even with pickups designed for the neck position.

Try a DiMarzio Humbucker From Hell for a pickup where they really tried making it less bassy in the neck position.
      Henrik
      AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

There is more bass, but there is also more output; the string has more excursion (movement) within the magnetic field the closer you get to the string's midpoint. This means more output from the pickup, and is why "matched sets" have the bridge pickup wound hotter.

Comment

The simple answer is to lower the pickup.
          -------------------------
          Blank yo!

Comment

delt, you hit the nail right on the head when you awnsered your own question!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              The simple answer is to lower the pickup.

[/ QUOTE ]
              Exactly. Lower-powered pickups are usually used in the neck, but one of equal power as the bridge can be used. I had two Duncan Invaders in my old Kelly, I just kept the one in the neck lower as to balance the two out.
              Never use a pickup in the neck that's got higher output than the bridge... it's just too much of a mismatch and you'll be asking for trouble. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

thanks again for the tips people.

actually both pickups were pretty low, i lowered the neck pu just a bit and raised the bridge one, problem solved.

*smacks forehead* now why didn't i think of that before..? i was thinking of adding a resistor in parallel with the volume pot [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Try an rs guitarworks electronics upgrade kit, (rsguitarworks.net)tell them your application and they will tell you which kit will work the best for you.
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Do we need to get real anal and talk about adjusting individual pole pieces? Na! Besides, that looks not too right with the words "anal" and "pole" in the same sentence anyway. It can make a difference in string levels. Or mabey I'm just too wierd and hear too much.

Comment

If you adjust the individual pole pieces you will break the wax seal from your pickups being potted.

Comment

Working...
                      X