Neck bow ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neck bow ??

Heythere, I've got a Gibson LesPaul custom. I know it's not a Jackson but this is a general tech queston. The neck relief is not enought to keep the strings from buzzing at the lower fretts 3,4,5 in particular. Soooo I take off the truss rod cover and try to loosen the nut a bit, but it's already loose. It's just spinning in there.I havn't taken a pliers to the truss rod yet but it would seem that I cannont introduce anymore relief into the neck if the truss rod is already as bowed as it will get? What do you think? [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Re: Neck bow ??

A good repairman can heat the neck up and create some more relief.

Comment

Oooo. Sounds like the truss was too tight for too long. The neck took to that shape. I agree with going with a repair man steaming the neck.

Comment

Sometimes you can string the guitar with a very heavy gauge string set (13-60 or so) and even tune it a couple of steps high (or until you're getting a decent amount of bow in the neck, maybe 1/8" or so). Let it sit like that for a week or two with the truss rod completely loose, then restring it with your normal gauge strings and re-adjust the truss rod. 90% of the time you'll be able to get the right amount of relief again, as long as the neck doesn't have a severe "back bow" to begin with. Just remember to tune the heavy strings to the correct pitch in relation to one another and sight down the neck flat to make sure you're not putting a twist in it. If there is a slight twist you can also correct it by tightening or loosening the higher or lower strings if needed. It's definitely worth a try before spending money at a repair shop.
        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

For chrissake, DO NOT turn that nut with pliers!! Gibson acorn nuts are made of brass and are meant to be turned with a nut driver. The bill you will have to pay to get a stripped truss rod nut off will be more than the bill to get relief added to your neck.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            For chrissake, DO NOT turn that nut with pliers!! Gibson acorn nuts are made of brass and are meant to be turned with a nut driver. The bill you will have to pay to get a stripped truss rod nut off will be more than the bill to get relief added to your neck.

[/ QUOTE ]
            OK, OK I won't [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I'll use vice grips ok? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
            Thanks for your help guys.

Comment

Working...
            X