Fake Binding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fake Binding

Hey guys. I got the idea from NOTP to put pinstriping on my guitars necks and bodies to make the guitars look as if they have binding. I went a steph further than NOTP and had pinstripes on my jackson RR3 body and Washburn 7 string. Here they are:

93 USA Soloist EDS
    USA HT6 Juggernaut
    Charvel DK24FR

Re: Fake Binding

MAN!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] I feel like a proud father or something. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] How long did it take you? I did two guitars in about two hours, going very carefully.

Comment

To do both guitars took about 30 minutes
      93 USA Soloist EDS
      USA HT6 Juggernaut
      Charvel DK24FR

Comment

I obviously must have done something wrong then. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          93 USA Soloist EDS
          USA HT6 Juggernaut
          Charvel DK24FR

Comment

Stickers on guitars. You guys! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
            My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I noticed on the pic of the white tape as neck binding that you didn't have the black dot fret markers. I've tried using a sharpie, but could never get them round and the right size. What I ended up doing was going to a arts and crafts store and buying a 1/8" round hole punch and some black vinyl sticker material (I bought some black vinyl numbers). I punch out a bunch of 'dots', then use an exacto knife to peel them from the backing. The vinyl is thin enough so you don't feel it. I've also done punched out some white dots an put just the dots on some necks that had hard to see white dots originally. here's pic of the punch and of a guitar I did with the white tape and dots.

Punch and dots

guitar with tape binding

Comment

Oh no!..there's more!!! [img]/images/graemlins/fart.gif[/img]
                My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

What i like to do is cover some of those little dots and leave only those on frets 5, 7, 12, and same on the upper octave (17, 19, 24) because i'm used to classical guitar markings and having a dot every 2 frets is confusing!!!

now what should i use for this purpose on my dk2 neck (with ivoroid bindings) ...? masking tape is about the right color but it,s too transparent, paint peels off easily when it's dry, ....
                  "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                  The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

delt - maybe you didn't notice in my comment above, but I've got some white vinyl material to punch out also. PM me your address and I'll mail you a bunch of white stick-on dots you can try out to cover your black dots.

Comment

thanks for the offer man (: i live in Canada though, and i dont want you to spend much money on sending me stuff (: (:

i just thought of something that might work, i have some carpet tape (double-sided) that's pretty thin and pretty opaque, and sticks well, i'll try putting masking tape on one side and sticking the other side on the dots.
                      "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]

Comment

I don't think a first class letter with a few 1/8" punched 'holes' would cost too much!!

Anyway, here's a link (canadian even) to the type of arts/crafts punch I use, maybe you can find in a arts shop local to you:
                        1/8" hole punch

Here's one on ebay:
                        Ebay punch

You can also look in the arts/crafts store for something that is peel-n-stick of the right color. For my white, I used some off-white vinyl numbers. I found that punching from the backing side of the material makes a cleaner cut. Once I punch out a bunch of 'dots', I use an exacto knife to separate the material from its backing, then stick on the guitar.

Comment

Delt, my white dots might be too white for you:
                          [image][/image]

Comment

i have a hole-puncher here, but it makes way too big dots, over 1/4". i still have it from when i was passing newspapers when i was 12 years old!!! =) i'll go see at the hardware store if they have any 1/8" ones. otherwise i'll buy one on ebay.

Comment

Working...
                            X