Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about 7 string emgs

hi

i need new pu's for my 7string, because the old ones don't REALLY cut it for very heavy music [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] i'm looking for a sound just like the emg 81, but afaik the only emg 7string pu is the 707, which is more like the 85....or a mix between 81 and 85. that wouldnt be all that much of a problem, but i HATE the idea of routing my guitar...damn oversize pickups [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
    so basically, i want to know if there is any possibility to get that damn 7string emg into my guitar without having to ruin it ^^ if there is no possibility, i'd like to know which passive (standart sized) pickup comes close to that sound (notice i said close; of course i can't expect a passive pu to sound like an active one, but well....as close as one can get)?

by the way, its an esp 7string, and i measured the size of the pickup cavity....basically, the emg707 would range from one height adjustment screw to the other...which is ok, but the edges of the cavity are round and not square, and thats where i'd have to route it.

greets
    fragle

Re: question about 7 string emgs

[ QUOTE ]
    i'm looking for a sound just like the emg 81, but afaik the only emg 7string pu is the 707, which is more like the 85....or a mix between 81 and 85.

[/ QUOTE ]
    EMG does make a 7-string 81 version now. They were featured in the Stephan Carpenter models. I think they sell them separately now.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

They do make the 81-7. I think you have to call and ask them about it, though, 'cause it's not on the site. Maybe it's a custom shop item? That'll be pricey...

Mike
      Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

EMG-81/7:

http://guitarpartsdepot.com/Merchant...ory_Code=EMGCS

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          EMG-81/7:

http://guitarpartsdepot.com/Merchant...ory_Code=EMGCS

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">Just as a note, it's the same size as the 707 pickup [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]</font>
          Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Yes, which is apparently the same size as their bass pickups or something. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

<font color="aqua">yes, I believe they are the series 35 Bass Pickups. </font>
              Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

mh...so theres no way i can get that authentic emg sound without routing my guitar? that sucks....i really dont want to do it, because i think i'm going to sell it some day, and if i screwed up the routing job i'd get less money for it ^^

so, are there any passive alternatives? i don't know all that much about pickups (mainly because there are too many of them [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ), so i dont know which passive one sounds as close to an emg as you can get.

greets
                fragle

Comment

The Dimarzio Evolution 7 is a really high output 7 string humbucker, so maybe you could go for that? or the Seymour Duncan Distortion 7 String, also a high out put pickup.
                  93 USA Soloist EDS
                  USA HT6 Juggernaut
                  Charvel DK24FR

Comment

i have not heared the dimarzio yet, but i didnt like the six string version of the duncan distortion at all.

one of my other guitars is equipped with the steves special, and as good as the sound is, its not really what i'm looking for now, so the blaze (steves special 7 string version...basically) isnt an option, too. dont know about the blaze custom, though (basically a blaze with more mids and output according to dimarzio.com)

i already thought of the invader 7 or the tonezone 7, as they are supposedly dark sounding pickups with very high output, but i've been told they are quite muddy, which is definitely not what i want.

umm...for those who didnt check out my cannibal corpse related thread in the amps section, i'll say it again in this thread: i'm looking for a sound similar to cannibal corpse, which is a quite dark, saturated, yet very tight.
                    i want maximum "impact" and clarity out of my 7th string, but without having to deal with a harsh highend that usually goes along with clarity (at least my ears think so [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ). thats why i dont want the blaze; while it definitely sounds tight and has a lot of punch, it's too bright and harsh sounding for my ears, and the scooped midrange thins out the sound too much

greets
                    fragle

Comment

for passive pickups, you can use an EMG gain-booster (pa-2) to have the same effect as if the pickup was active.

http://emgpickups.com/displayproduct...;catalogid=135
                      "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                      The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

I have a Universe with a tone zone (bridge) and an air norton (neck) Those don't seem too bad. They sound better than the stock Steve Vai ones. A little more chunky.

Comment

Working...
                        X