Tuners!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuners!

Well, I need some new tuners for my Peavey, it has some very cheap ones right now that tend to jump around to much, you know, really loose in some spots, stiff and grinding in others. They are the only thing holding back lovely Peavey from being a great axe.

Now, I have browsed stewmac and came across seveal finalists, and I was wondering if anybody can help me decide, or tell me about these particular tuners if you have them. Im looking for something like 16-18:1 radius, something very accurate, and there is NOT a locking nut on my guitar so they have to hold up and not move very easily, under heavy bending and some whammy abuse. (not much, but we all do our fair share of wankity-wank [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] )

First of, These Gotoh Large Shaller type things. I have a Fender DG-11 acoustic, and it has a great pair of tuners, and these look remarkibly similar, I would love to get a pair like the ones on my DG-11 for my Peavey. Fender has its tuners made by Gotoh, dont they?

www.stewmac.com/ Gotoh shaller types

and these Grover self-locking. Could somebody explain how these work?
    Grover Mini locking

I realize that thats alot to read, but I applaud those who did and help.

Re: Tuners!

I believe all of the locking tuners work in basically the same way-they clamp down on the string as you tune it up, or with a thumb screw-basically doing the same thing a locking nut does without having to route the end of the fretboard.

Comment

I know locking tuners work, just not this particular one, how does it know when your taking off the string or just tuning down?

Comment

I have the Gotoh Vintage Locking Tuners on a guitar and i think they work the same way as the Grover mini locking. The locking tuner releases its grip on the string only when it's tuned almost all the way down. At that point the tuning is pretty much useless for making music.
        Henrik
        AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

I've got the Sperzel's on several guitars. I love 'em!
          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            I have the Gotoh Vintage Locking Tuners on a guitar and i think they work the same way as the Grover mini locking. The locking tuner releases its grip on the string only when it's tuned almost all the way down. At that point the tuning is pretty much useless for making music.

[/ QUOTE ]

aha. Clever.

Sperzels are out of the question, i need something higher than 12:1 or 14:1. Something SMOOTH and consistant too.

I would like LSRs, if they didn't look so alien, and weren't about 4x as much as Im willing to pay.

Thanks!
            Keep the suggestions coming.

Comment

Go for the grovers. I've had them on several guitars and they are great. You just pull the string thru and start tuning and they grab on. Really good design.

Jim
              "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

Working...
              X