Distance between the pick-up and the strings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distance between the pick-up and the strings

What's the typical gap between the pick-up and the strings to get the fullest or better sound of the strings? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Re: Distance between the pick-up and the strings

It depends on the pickups. Most you can get pretty close without too much affect on the strings and adjust the pole pieces accordingly. Others like say fender singles, if they're too close, the magnets pull on the strings causing them to not vibrate correctly. You'll notice that right away. You may want to check out the Guitar Player Repair Guide. It has everything you'll need from setups to mods. Musicians Friend carries it. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...se_pid/900582/

Comment

It totally depends on what pickup we're talking about. Some sound better farther away from the strings, some sound better closer. Not all pups have adjustable poles so that shouldn't be considered an issue. I set most of mine about 1/4" from the strings. Some like 'em closer but I haven't found that to help the sound.
      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Closer = hotter signal, less sustain
        Farther = more sustain, softer signal
        750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
        Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

I always heard that the thickness of two nickels stacked on top of one another for the bridge pup....

Comment

I've also heard that the neck pickup (if it's a humbucker) should be flush with the pickup rings.

Comment

Depends on the guitar too, there is no set mesurement to go by. Play it and adj to where it sounds the best.Its a preference thing but you will loose sustain with the pickup too close to the strings.Some pickups are quite sensitive to adj changes.Duncan JBs for example, also Duncan invaders if you get them too close the sound is muddy and feedback kills the tone but back them off way off and you will find harmonic overtones will jump out and the tone is warm and all the crunch is there when you need it.So again trial and error is the key.Don't give up on a pickup to soon. Adjust and tweak you will eventually find the sweet spot.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Most pickup makers say to start Humbuckers at 1/8" from the sting, and work from there.

Comment

Working...
                X