Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

97 Dinky pickup questions?? volume issue.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 97 Dinky pickup questions?? volume issue.....

Hey, I have a 1997 era Jackson Dinky plum burst quilt top USA with the standard H-S-S pickup config wiht the factory installed Seymour Duncans. Heres the deal, when I switch from hum to EITHER of the single coil pups I get a significant volume drop. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] Its kind of a nuiscance. I check the wiring and all looks fine, In fact this has been this way since I got the guitar.(it was used when I got it) My questions are:

What kind of pickups are in the Dinky?
    Are the single coils actually stacked hums? It looks like there are 4 wires on the pup plate you can see under the srtings. red, green, black, and white are the wire colors which would lead me to believe its not a single coil, but I am FAR from an expert on this.
    and if so, is that normal to have a volume drop like that?
    ANy ideas on this? Keep in mind, the sound is great, the tone is great, it just drops in volume alot. the hum is just way hotter than the singles.

Does anyone else with a dinky have this issue? or any guitar for that matter.

what can I do to solve this?? do I need to replace the middle and neck pups?? stacked hums needed there? hotrails? coolrails? JB jr???

I would appreciate any help you can provide. Thanks!!! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Re: 97 Dinky pickup questions?? volume issue.....

Bump [img]/images/graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]

Comment

If the singles have 4 conductor wiring, they are stacked humbucking pickups. The volume drop is more than likely due to the output difference between pickups. You could try adjusting the pickup height on the singles but it can cause extra magnetic pull on the strings and may not do much for volume difference anyway. If too close to the string, they won't ring as long and will sound like a warble. Try some higher output singles mabey. I had that problem on a H/S/S strat. I've tried HS3's, HS'2's, a fast track, texas specials, and an SDS1. The SDS seems to have the most output. It is a noisey single coil and has more hum than most singles. It does sound cool. Like a P90

Comment

Yea, its kinda strange as I have never really had that happen before. odd for sure. I mean the singles have a great sound when you turn the amp up to compenstate for the lower volume, but its just a helluva inconveinence. I just wondered why they would put such different output pups. I find it strange, but maybe its just me. [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img] Just thought I would see what everyone else thougtht. ANy other ideas or suggestions??

Comment

it's kinda normal to have a difference in output between hums and singles, but not enough to be a major nuisance......
          "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
          The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

well, thats what I thought too delt. I think its TOO much of a volume difference to be normal...

ANyone else got any ideas??

Comment

Well I'll tell ya, I have an HRR strat with a super distortion in the bridge and I put an SDS1 in the neck and I think it's louder than the super distortion. First time that's happened.

Comment

Working...
              X