Low or High action?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low or High action?

I realize this has probably been beat to death here, but I want to ask about setups. [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img]I know it is generally desireable to have a very low action on guitars. I used to play extremely low action about 7 years ago. I dont know if my playing style changed or my ears or what but I slowly made the transition to desiring a higher action. Keep in mind I have played high quality guitars all through this time and I know how to properly setup and intonate a guitar. I do have a BIG issue on fret buzz, I absolutley cannot deal with fret buzz or anykind, period!!! I used to always play thru cheesy processors (zooms, etc...) when I liked low action, then when I switched to amps, I noticed I was hearing more fret buzz on all my guitars in general. As I went on, I keep slowly creeping up the action over time on all my guitars. I can still play fast and comfortably with the high action, so I dont have any problems with it. I just wonder why I have aquired the feel for high action. I feel kinda dumb for it. I mean I have these high quality USA made guitars capable of very low action and I dont take advantage of it. I find I get fret buzz. So, Is it my super finicky ears that are my problem? or is it my personal playing style? I use light tortex picks and I grip the pick VERY close to the edge to pick harmonics. I have an aggresive metal style and I use alot of pick harmonics all over the fretboard. I love pick squeals. I like good chunky chords and I play pretty tight. I am not sloppy banging the hell out of the guitar like an idiot. This may sound really stupid, but I also feel better on my fretting hand if the action is set higher. Now it shouldnt make that much difference there, but in my mind it does.

SO tell me, am I a freak or what?? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] I mean most players really savor low action guitars, where I prefer a moderatly high( in my opinion) action. I dont get any fret buzz, and I feel like I have better control of the string with it higher. Bending is particularly easier for me, I can control my bends much more effectively. I feel like i can grip the string better with a higher action.

I am really curious to what other players prefer since most of you play similar styles of music on similar guitars.

I am all ears on this.....so please give your opinions and preferences. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Re: Low or High action?

Your not a freak. Everyone has personal prefrence, and if you like high action, then there's nothing wrong with that if it suits you. Besides, it's YOUR guitar, so set it up the best way for your needs!

Comment

Most of the better guitarists I've known like a little higher action. I think it makes for a cleaner sound and better sustain. Silly low action is for people with weak hands.
      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

it also makes it more versatile tone wise imo. you have more dynamics & i think better overtones & harmonics. shredding & most high tones you dont notice it as much. cleaner stuff thru a nice old class A & there is a big difference. i do have a couple of my super strat type set up real low, just to rock out on. BTW what size string you use. i like the sound of 12's but really cant go with more than 11's.

Comment

I like my action somewhere in the middle, not too high or too low. String buzz used to bother me, too, and I used to keep it a little higher, but since I can't hear it while playing through the amp, I got over it.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I play on 9's. SUper slinkys. I cant play on heavier strings.

Ya know toejam, I had that same problem. I could always hear the damn string itself buzzing, not through the amp, but the string itself. That was cured by just turning up the amp a little. But that plagued me for a long time. I do like to get some great tone, and I think that was part of the motivation for a bit higher action. Dont get me wrong now, I mean I dont have mile high action. I call it moderately high. kind of in the middle. Its just that with most higher end axes you can get the action sick low, and I dont like it that low. I need to have it higher so I have control of the string, NO buzzing, and better tone. I was just curious if anyone else felt this way. Part of it is just not wanting the buzzing. But I really think that my personal playing style is more prone to buzzing than most. I have friends that play sick low action and their guitar buzzes like crazy and it drives me nuts but they cant hear it. They must be deaf!!! I am serious, I mean its like they cant hear it! and they have been playing for 20 years. I dont get it.

Thanks for the feed back and keep it coming. THanks!

Comment

Hey, TM, thanks for bringing up this topic. I've recently been going through the same transition. I'm finding that I have a lot more control and better tone since raising the action on my guitar a bit. It makes me play harder and cleaner which gives a good effect. Good to know I'm not getting weird or something... well about the action anyway.

Comment

I like a medium high action. The higher action is easier to play to me. I feel I can "dig in" better. Plus, the guitar "speaks" much better with high action.
                Low action is a bad rut to get stuck in.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Low action is a bad rut to get stuck in.

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree with that. Good choice of words Chuck.
                  My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Right now I've got all my guitars set up with high action. I do know the advantages of the higher action but I hate that "springy" tone you get. Yeah, it's hard to explain but listen to Chris Poland's solos and you'll get what I mean and that's no knock against Chris.
                    I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

i use .11's and high action...to my ears the tone is better, and i don't shred either!!! my slsmg still has .09's and low action and it feels like i'm playing on rubberbands. as soon as i need to change strings, it's goin' up.
                      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I also think that higher action equals better sound. Also when playing with heavy distortion. Much more punch and clean attack to the tone.

Over the years i've gradually raised my action and learned to play everything with higher action.

Low action (too low) makes it hard to bend notes.
                        Henrik
                        AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

high or low, I likes me action anyway I can get it [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

I used to play with much higher action before I stumbled across the JCF, and learnt some great setup tips. I thought it was pretty low until I saw how sick-low some folks here were setting up their axes. So I dropped all my bridges into the weeds. Still not as low as some folks have them - I mean, I can still take her over speed bumps & it's no problem getting up my front drive. But the action on all my guitars is signifanctly lower now. All with little to no fret buzz.

The MAJOR benefit I've found from this wasn't so much in my left hand as I expected. I found that I had to re-examine my picking technique. Now I knew I was a ham fisted hack in the first place, but lowering the action really made me clean up my picking A LOT, just to get rid of that nasty SPLUNK-KRAAANG every time I brought my right hand down on the strings. I'm still no shredder by any definition, but it sure did force me to clean up my righthand technique.
                          Hail yesterday

Comment

I the buzz is often about the picking isn't it? The pick size really matters

Comment

I agree,I think the pick and picking style has alot to do with it also. but its damn hard to change your picking style. But in my case, I like my picking style and its actually pretty good. I mean its tight, precise and not sloppy. I know this sounds like I am tooting my own horn here, but alot of players that watch me play compliment me on my playing style. They say I have a very tight and clean style. I think part of that comes from the higher action. It gives me control over the guitar.

Yes, Chuck, those are good words you spoke here. Thanks! I too feel I can "dig in" as you said, better with a bit higher action. and I also agree that lower action is a bad rut to get stuck in. I was a much sloppier player then with low action. I was much lazier and had NO dynamics to my style. My naunces were non existant. My style was bland. After I switched back to tube amps about 7 years ago, I started to take notice that I sounded like $hit. I started to raise my action a bit and noticed positive things happening to my style and my tone.[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I had to work harder as a player, but it paid off!!!

Yo Gary, I am glad you take "that kind" of action any way you can get it [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] as long as its with chicks!!

I am glad I am not the only one who feels this way about high action. I sometimes tend to second guess my own style and preferences and sometimes need a reality check. [img]/images/graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]

Thanks for everyones input!!! I appreciate it and welcome whatever anyone has to say about it [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X