Guitar/bass hybrid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar/bass hybrid

As some of you may know, I play in a band that has no bassist. Being that I've played bass for a number of years, I played bass on our various recordings, and live I use an ABY box and octave pedal to a bass amp to play some of the "essential" bass lines. It's a fine arrangement for the moment, and at some point we'll recruit a bassist, but I had an idea for a guitar/bass hybrid that I thought I'd mention anyway...just to see if anyone thinks it would actually work.

My idea would be to take a standard electric guitar (we'll say a Soloist for the sake of simplicity), and install the following electronics on it:

1. Guitar humbucker (bridge) with volume, tone, coil-split and "kill" button.
    2. Bass humbucker (neck) with volume, tone and "kill" button.
    3. Three-way toggle with bridge/guitar-only, neck/bass-only and combined middle position.
    4. Dedicated outputs for each pickup.

My plan would, be to then run each output to its own amp, one for guitar and one for bass. The only major problem I see with this is that guitar strings probably wouldn't give the ideal tone for the bass pickup to pass along, but that would be an area where compromise allows for greater versatility.

I see this as having a lot of potential. My current setup is fine, but there are certain parts where an octave pedal just can't track well, although upgrading to a Boss OC-3 (has "polyphonic" mode) has helped a great deal. Also, switching from guitar-only to bass-only with an ABY box is a two-step process, no pun intended. Having a hybrid guitar/bass would eliminate the need for pedals, and would have all the functionality of a doubleneck, PLUS you could obviously use both pickups in places where the bass followed the guitar.

Does this idea seem totally ridiculous, or should it be functionally possible? Again, I understand that there would be some potential shortcomings with the bass tone, but it seems like it should work. Also, the option of using a stereo cab with 2x12 on top and 1x15 on the bottom (Randall offers this) would mean I could essentially gig with a half-stack and an extra head for the bass, instead of two full rigs.

Thoughts? Mockery? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
    sigpic

Re: Guitar/bass hybrid

I had that idea a while back, but not to do bass lines [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    Seriously, I emailed Warmoth about routing a Strat pickguard for a humbucker in the bridge and a P-bass in the neck/middle (for cleans), and they won't do it [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

But anyway, you can probably get a Monster stereo cable, wire each pickup to a stereo jack, and split out from a stereo switcher to both amps.

There's also some sort of electronic doohickey you can stick on the neck of your guitar that does bass tones - some sort of touchpad system on the back of the neck. It's been advertised in a few guitar mags lately. I guess it'd be like Geddy Lee's old Moog bass pedals?

Anyhoo, my band also had a hard time finding/keeping reliable bassists, so I just bumped my bass eq up a bit (100Hz and such in a GSP-21 Legend). That combined with the drummer's huge floor tom (24") and quadrabass kicks (4 24" kicks bolted together into two long pairs ala Eric Carr) pretty much eliminated the need for a bassist.

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

just buy an inexpensive bass.

i had a similar idea a while ago, to just install bass pickups on a guitar and use bass strings on it.... was simpler to get a real bass.
      "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
      The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

why not do a double neck with a 6 string on one and a bass for the other one .....either way it would be intresting to see someone play it.

Comment

Here are some ways to play bass lines as a guitar player:

Taurus 2 pedals
          Roland VG8 or VG88
          The Roland bass patches will make your guitar sound exactly like a bass and you can route thhe bass patch signal directly to the board or a bass amp.

Comment

Use a 12 string bass, and tune the 2 "guitar strings" to the octave and the 5th. Works like a charm. My brother's band was looking for a second guitarist, and while they were looking, my brother tuned his 12 string bass like that, and added a hint of overdrive. It sounded exactly like a bass player playing and a guitar player playing the power chords. It was pretty amazing actually. They have no need for a second guitarist now. And a good 12 string bass is surprisingly easy to play.

Comment

I already have the capability of playing bass parts on the guitar using the ABY/octave/bass amp arrangement. I also have bass guitars, which I use in the studio but not live. A different pedal solution isn't really worth pursuing, as what I have works fine if I want to keep doing it that way. A double-neck would be neat, but I can have enough trouble with just one neck. I find five-string basses uncomfortable as it is, so I doubt a twelve-string would work well for me, and as the lead guitarist, I can't imagine playing my solos on a bass.

I'm sure what I'm talking about could be done, and would probably sound good, but I suspect that it would get spendy fast.
              sigpic

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                I emailed Warmoth about routing a Strat pickguard for a humbucker in the bridge and a P-bass in the neck/middle (for cleans), and they won't do it

[/ QUOTE ]

Budman will make any pickguard you need [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

How about puting the piezo graphtech saddles on the low E and A strings (maybe the D as well) and running that output to a bass rig?

Comment

so... how did it go?

Originally posted by Inazone View Post
                  I'm sure what I'm talking about could be done, and would probably sound good, but I suspect that it would get spendy fast.
                  Hey, I know this thread is long dead but after really googling the hell out of the web this is where I come for help. I am in the same situation that you were in six years ago. I am splitting the output from my downtuned (big stringed) guitar to two amps, switching back and forth with a foot pedal. Although the sound is bass heavy, I, too, do hope that replacing the neck pup with a hot bass pup might enhance the sound. Does any of you guys have any thoughts on this? Did you, Inazone, actually realize this project?? Thanks a lot, Johnny

Comment

Interesting Threadsurrection! I missed this the 1st time around, so I am interested to see what (if anything ) happened.
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                      Interesting Threadsurrection! I missed this the 1st time around, so I am interested to see what (if anything ) happened.

Comment

Had 7 & 8 string instruments not yet been invented in 2004? :P
                        |My CSG gallery|
                        (CSG=AlexL=awesome)

Comment

Originally posted by m2pmd70 View Post
                          Had 7 & 8 string instruments not yet been invented in 2004? :P
                          I know I know, but I think that the result would be different from just using an 7/8 string!
                          Let me explain..
                          What strikes me most about the hybrid idea is the separation of the two pretty different pickups using two outputs. I imagine that simply using pickups with more low-frequencies (as a 7 / 8 string has) will sound nice and bass-heavy, but as I amplify my guitar signal over a bass and a guitar amp simultanously most of the time, I would also like to be able to create more of a "polyphonic" sound, if you know what I mean..
                          PS: Just saw that rickenbacker bass guitars are often equipped with stereo jacks to split the sound from their two pickups if necessary.. (rick-o-sound)
                          Last edited by johnnyw; 08-17-2010, 03:44 AM.

Comment

Nope, I didn't pursue this. My band added a bassist shortly after, although he's long since gone and we've done without for the past year.

I think that a lot of people misunderstood what I was trying to do, which was to be able to play bass parts on a regular guitar without having to "tapdance" on pedals to get bass tones. High-output guitar pickups tended to distort the clean signal being fed to the bass amp, but playing in a death metal band, using single-coil pickups would have ruined my guitar tone. The piezo pickup suggestions probably would have worked.

As mentioned in one of my old replies, I already had access to bass guitars, and now to seven-string guitars, but that wouldn't have helped with what I was trying to do. I'm guessing that one of the new Morpheus pedals or some type of Line 6 product would achieve acceptable results, but I simply don't care enough at this point to find out.
                            sigpic

Comment

Well, in case anyone is still interested, a diy guide was posted here:
                              http://hackaday.com/2009/07/27/stereo-guitar/
                              A discussion on stereo guitars and all things related is in the comment section...

Comment

Working...
                              X