SL-3 Nut Size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SL-3 Nut Size

Would by chance anyone know an SL-3's Nut Size? I know it 1 11/16... But is it R2...etc. I currently know it isn't R3. That is really deep.

Thanks in advance.... I seem to ask a lot of questions around here. At least my post count is going up. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Re: SL-3 Nut Size

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Heres a breakdown of the FLOYD NUT specs:

R1: narrow: Width: 1-9/16"; Height: .225"; Spacing: 1.30”; Radius: 10"

R2: standard: Width: 1-5/8"; Height: .225"; Spacing: 1.37”; Radius: 10"

R3: wide: (narrow string spacing for bound neck), Width: 1-11/16"; Height: .275"; Spacing: 1.40”; Radius: 10"

R4: wide: (wide string spacing), Width: 1-11/16"; Height: .275"; Spacing: 1.43”; Radius: 10"

R5: extra wide. Width: 1-3/4"; Height: .275"; Spacing: 1.50”; Radius: 10"

R6: R1 with bullet nut relief. Width: 1-9/16"; Height: .225"; Spacing: 1.30”; Radius: 10"

R7: R2 with bullet nut relief. Width: 1-5/8"; Height: .225"; Spacing: 1.37”; Radius: 10"

R8: R4 with flatter radius. Width: 1-11/16"; Height: .225"; Spacing: 1.43”; Radius: 15"

My sl3 had an R3 on it and I changed it to an R2. I was having problems with the ".09" E string pulling off the side of the neck. The R2 corrected the problem.
    If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

my sl3 had the same prob with the string slipping off...it sometimes would get caught on the edge of the neck pickup too. I switched to an R2 as well.

Comment

I had a SL-4, and I switched from th R4 to the R3. And that got rid of the string slip off the fret board.

Comment

God, is there no quality control with the SL3/SL4 construction. every one I've ever played has this problem in one form or another. Plus they bevel the end s of the fretts at an angle which contributes to the problem (and is lame as sh*t). I sold my SL3 and got an SL2H. what a difference is quality. Night and Day
          If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Actually, I've had 2 SL4s and loved 'em both (I have an SL2H also, and I still love my SL4). Based on the consistency of this problem, I don't think this is a QC issue (quite the opposite, in fact, as they all seem to be identical), just the fact that Jackson spec'ed the wrong locking nut on these guitars, because the high "E" string does slip off, which I find aggravating. My question is, which nut do these come with (one of the above posts says R4, another says R3), so I know which replacement nut to get to go one size narrower?

P.S. Great chart, kmanick. THANKS! That should be a sticky, IMO.

Comment

My SL3 does it, but it's actually improved my control with my fretting hand so I haven't changed the nut. The only time the 1st string slips off now is if I start getting sloppy with my fretting hand. I'll take it off and see what size it is later, but I'm pretty sure it's an R4.

Comment

Working...
              X