Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I posted this in the technique area but....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I posted this in the technique area but....

... no one responded, so I'm going to post it here instead. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I've been playing bass for about a year or so now and I'm trying to really work up my speed. I practice for about an hour to two hours a day (and then usually about 2-3 hours of band practice where I play bass 4 days a week) and I was wondering if anyone had any techniques or exercises to build up speed.. Typically I sit down and flip on GuitarPro with a looped "metronome" styled drum beat for about 20 minutes and just do straight 8th note alternating between index and middle fingers. Is there a different strategy to use to building up speed on bass?

Additionally I have found that I have a small problem with being consistent on my attack. How can I keep the notes sounding even while maintaining speed (using a compressor doesn't count as a strategy!)

Re: I posted this in the technique area but....

I'm not a bass player, that's why i haven't replyed yet, but i can't help thinking that what applies to guitar applies to bass - meaning metronome, a Stetina book and a lot of patience and practice time. Don't you agree?
    Henrik
    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

get some rush tabs, freewill, la villa strangiato, are just a few (sorry bill! lol) those helped me with speed and attack and of course doing scales helped with fingering.
      The Truth Hurts Only If It's Supposed To !

Comment

Okay thanks for the recommendations.

Comment

By the way, Tacoma suck just in general. Wear your kevlar.
          ...that taste like tart, lemon yogart

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            By the way, Tacoma suck just in general. Wear your kevlar.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep.. And avoid Hill top at ALL costs. You will get killed there for just being white. My bandmate has had 7 friends get shot / beaten to death there.

Comment

I'm not a bass player either. But, I am a guitar instructor. I agree with the Rush thing. Try learning some Iron Maiden. Talas mabey (I'm sorry mabey only a year of playing may not get you there yet) Speed may take what seems like "FOREVER" Hours on end! It's just like a video game. You can sit for hours and get pissed at it yet still continue to play it.

As far as smoothing things out, and not wanting a compressor, ever record in a studio? When you do, odds are there will be compression on your bass. It makes everything even. Without compression you can try to smoothe it out by practicing slow and keeping your fingers exact! However, I opt for the compressor as a strategy. One time I was a hired gun and did a recording with a band, the bass player didn't want compression. They added it in anyway without telling him, and he really didn't know the difference anyway.

Comment

Working...
              X