Changing Floyd's nut size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing Floyd's nut size

I'm thinkin of switching the R2 nut to a R4 nut on a project guitar. Will there be a problem?

Are necks built to fit only one kind of nut wide? And will there be problem with the alightment to the floyd?

Thanx
    Fong

Re: Changing Floyd\'s nut size

I'm pretty sure R2 nuts are 1 5/8" wide, while R4 nuts are 1 11/16" wide, so yes you will have a problem and I would not recommend making the change.

Comment

Besides the width difference, there's a height difference too, the R4 is taller, so you'd have to have a machine shop grind 0.050" (a little less than a 1/16") off the bottom of the nut.

Here's the floyd nut specs for reference:
      R1: narrow: Width: 1-9/16"; Height: .225"; Spacing: 1.30”; Radius: 10"
      R2: standard: Width: 1-5/8"; Height: .225"; Spacing: 1.37”; Radius: 10"
      R3: wide: (narrow string spacing for bound neck), Width: 1-11/16"; Height: .275"; Spacing: 1.40”; Radius: 10"
      R4: wide: (wide string spacing), Width: 1-11/16"; Height: .275"; Spacing: 1.43”; Radius: 10"
      R5: extra wide. Width: 1-3/4"; Height: .275"; Spacing: 1.50”; Radius: 10"
      R6: R1 with bullet nut relief. Width: 1-9/16"; Height: .225"; Spacing: 1.30”; Radius: 10"
      R7: R2 with bullet nut relief. Width: 1-5/8"; Height: .225"; Spacing: 1.37”; Radius: 10"
      R8: R4 with flatter radius. Width: 1-11/16"; Height: .275"; Spacing: 1.43”; Radius: 15"

web page

Comment

Excellent documentation MountainDog!! I vote that one as a sticky!!! Damn good info! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Yeah, I'll second that! Thanks!

Comment

I think you can get the R4-2 nut which is for a Fender I think. (maybe I am full of ****, I mean mis-informed!) [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Anyway, send it to Budman and have him mill off the bottom if it is too tall. Although I think an R4 would be too wide for a nut width of 1 5/8". Try using an R3 and slide it up toward the bass side.

Comment

Thanx for the info guys, guess, i have to go rip another neck somewhere else [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Fong

Comment

Thanks you for this also. I needed a chart with the height, which floyd rose doesn't even offer. Extremely useful.

Comment

Wow, thanks mountaindog, I've been looking for that info for ever.
                  I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Working...
                  X