Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

About the H/S/H conf. on my Jackson JDR-94...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About the H/S/H conf. on my Jackson JDR-94...

Hello guys, are there any pick-up selectors out there that I can use so I can USE ALL 3 of my pickups on my H/S/H JDR-94 Dinky Reverse, instead of just Neck, Neck/Middle, Middle, Middle/Bridge, and Bridge??? You know something like N/M/B on at the same time??? Can you guys please name & describe different pick-up selectors, tone & volume pots/selectors I can buy to achieve MORE tones!?!?!?

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Also, can you guys name some sites that are EXCELLENT when it comes to guitar setups with floyds, intonation setups, and the "whole shebang"??? [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Re: About the H/S/H conf. on my Jackson JDR-94...

you could wire a 5-way Megaswitch to give you all pickups on, but you'd have to give up one of the options currently available to you.

Alternatively, I believe you could add a toggle switch to turn one of your pickups on independently of the current 5-way, so you could flip the 5-way to Neck/Middle and toggle the bridge "on".

Check out the Tech section at Easton Guitars for all your Floyd setup needs.
    Hail yesterday

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      you could wire a 5-way Megaswitch to give you all pickups on, but you'd have to give up one of the options currently available to you.

Alternatively, I believe you could add a toggle switch to turn one of your pickups on independently of the current 5-way, so you could flip the 5-way to Neck/Middle and toggle the bridge "on".

Check out the Tech section at Easton Guitars for all your Floyd setup needs.

[/ QUOTE ]

What option "currently availble" to me would be lost??? Also, what are the combinations with a 5-Way Megaswitch??? Say, VitaminG, what would YOU do in my case to achieve MORE tones out of my guitar???

Comment

I use a push pull pot. I have it wired to turn the neck pickup on. This allows me to have the normal 5 way switch as you decribed, and when you pull it to turn the neck pickup on (it's on no matter where the 5 way is) you can have all three pickups on or have bridge and neck together. Guitar Player magazine has a book out on guitar repair. It has a whole section about wiring and mods. It's only around $25. You can order it from Musicians Friend.

Comment

I'm having the five-way switch slot filled in my Dinky project H/S/S body and three on/off switches will be put in. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
          Though, like VitG said, you could always just put one mini toggle in to keep the bridge pup always on (like Carvin does on their Bolt model).
          The Megaswitch/Super Five-Way switch is typically used in guitars with two humbuckers so you can get single coil sounds or parallel wiring instead of the typical series humbucker wiring.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

you don't want a guitar that looks like a 747 dashboard either [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
            The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              What option "currently availble" to me would be lost??? Also, what are the combinations with a 5-Way Megaswitch??? Say, VitaminG, what would YOU do in my case to achieve MORE tones out of my guitar???

[/ QUOTE ]

A 5-way Megaswitch can be wired up in pretty much any combination you can imagine. As Toejam mentioned, they are a popular choice for 2-humbucker guitars because you can wire them up to not only select pickups, but split coils & give you combinations of split & selected pickups. Jackson, Fender & Ibanez have all used them in different combinations. But you still only have 5 options, so if you elect to use one, you would have to decide which of your current options you want to do without.

jazzman's suggestion to replace one of your knobs with a push/pull pot instead of my idea to add toggle switch is a great way to increase your options without drilling holes in your guitar.

What would I do in your case? Buy another guitar, of course!! [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
              Hail yesterday

Comment

I agree with the push-pull pot. I'd even get two of them (500K Volume and 250K Tone) so you get even more options. With only one push/pull, you could set it to activate say the neck pickup, but the 5-way would have to be wired so that the B&M position was not out-of-phase as is typical, but then, when you WANTED that tone, you wouldn't have it. With 2 push/pull pots, you can set them to turn on the hums and just flip the 5-way to the center to get the middle in there without phasing options.

Didn't the Gibson MIII used to have both a 3-way toggle and a 5-way blade?

Newc
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Ahh yes. Duelies. If a little goes a long way, then a lot goes a real long way! You can never go wrong with options. Especially if it don't change the appearance of the guitar!

Comment

VitaminG, what is a popular choice for H/S/H guitars, as you've stated the the "5-Way Megaswitches" are popular with H/H guitars?? Oh yeah guys, what do you think is better, or which would you rather have in your guitar(s):

On/Off Switches (To Turn Off/On each pickup when you please)

Or

3/5-Way Pickups Selectors

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/help.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

I don't mind the five-way, but I prefer the on/off switches. You could also have them as three-way mini toggle switches instead of the regular two way on/off. For example, on/off/whatever (so you can get out of phase, coil split or parallel wiring options.)
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Or, if the guitar has 3 knobs, you can have two independant volumes for the humbuckers, and a tone that acts as push-pull for the single-coil.....

anyway, push-pulls == much more versatility.
                        "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                        The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Oh yeah, since I'm picking up the guitar tomorrow (Wednesday), I just want to know, is the body a full-sized stratocaster body, or a dinky body???

Comment

It's a Dinky body, same as my PS4.

Chris
                            Are YOU a Jackson Warrior? Join us and be all that you can be!

Comment

Working...
                            X