Am I losing my mind?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I losing my mind?

I've kind of come to the realization that my soloists (besides my 7 string) never get played any more since I got my PC1, as well as an old Rich ST-3.
    I am pretty damn sure it is because I prefer the unfinished (or lightly finished) neck feel.
    How complicated is it to strip the finish off of a neck? Since it is neck through, I assume it could have severe impacts on the guitars' stability if not done correctly. Also, since it is neck through, I would guess that SOME type of sealing material should be used - should not be left totally unfinished.
    What is a good mix? I hear beeswax/gun oil, etc..
    Thanks for any assistance.

Re: Am I losing my mind?

A palm sander with 100 grit and tung oil works for me..

Comment

i'd use the scuffing with steel wool method to get a similar feel, but if you want it unfinished, get yourself some 80 grit, masking tape, and have at it.

it's not going to be any more or less stable than any other unfinished neck, but yes, you can use gun oil, danish oil, and a nice wax on top (minwax makes some, and it buffs out nice)

personally, i wouldn't do it b/c you're gonna slaughter your resale value on it, but it's your guitar! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

sully
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I've had very good experience with this:

http://www.jcfonline.com/ubbthreads/...art=2&vc=1
        Henrik
        AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies guys.
          One of them is MINT for an 87... the paint is spotless, and it is a San Dimas rout (transitional Ontario I guess).
          So yeah, I can see how that would hurt resale. The other is an 88 Reverse head 2 HB... paint is NOT mint by any means...
          Maybe I will just get rid of them so I can get more PC's ...... [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Comment

I use steel wool like jsulleysix said. It will make the neck smoothe like unfinished. Yet, it will still be procted. If you want to sand the finish off completely, be prepared for some work. I suggest trying the steel wool thing or mabey some 400 grit sand paper to smoothe the finish out. Play the guitar like that. If it still ain't good, be prepared for more sanding.

Comment

Regularly polishing the neck instead of sanding off the paint will yield the same slippery feel as an oiled neck.

Newc
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I actually don't sand my necks anymore. So I guess my post should have said "I would use steel wool." I used to until I bought a reissue strat w/ nitro. I was way too scared to touch it. Since then, I have been doing what you said. I use some good ol' Martin guitar polish.

Comment

Put KY Jelly all over the back of your neck before you play, your guitar will be so slippery you'll have trouble holding it.

p.s. Don't really do this.

Comment

Ace -
                    I do - just not on my guitars! lol
                    Just kidding
                    As far as the other suggestions - I will just try some extra heavy polish

Comment

Sell them. Sanding the necks will kill their resale value.

Comment

Probably should use KY on the strings too so your fingers will slide better. WOAH! How bout all that sustain?

PS Only supid people should do this.

Comment

Working...
                        X