Neck angle Non recessed Floyd ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neck angle Non recessed Floyd ?

I have a JRS2 body that I want to convert to non recessed Floyd setup.I have access to a Bridgeport miller.So if I can I would rather cut the body than use shims.I just think it would be a cleaner way to do it.I am also going to add a neck single while I am at it.If anyone has the info it would be much appreciated.
    Mike
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    SLS TG // SLATQH TSB // 2 CS Soloists both 24.75 scale // 5 Archtop PROs //

Re: Neck angle Non recessed Floyd ?

The neck angle on Jacksons equipped with non-recessed Floyds is four degrees. Sounds like a cool project! Best of luck with it. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

That does sound cool! Be sure to post pics. The completed project and/or through the process of converting it.

Good Luck,
      Chris
      Are YOU a Jackson Warrior? Join us and be all that you can be!

Comment

Im planning on getting a strat to convert to a non-recessed floyd (has vintage trem now), I am VERY intrested on how this turns out as well.

Comment

I believe to make that happen you're going to have to use shims, or add wood to the neck pocket and then mill it. I think the neck pocket depth at the "neck end" is the same for recessed or non-recessed trems (regardless of the angle milled in the pocket). This means that if you just mill the angle then the entire neck may sit too deep in the body.
          My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

After some measuring , the pocket is deeper than a standard "strat" setup.It measures .700 deep instead of .625.So I might be able to do this with little or no shims.Now I just need to find the time.
            Mike
            --------------------------------------------------------------------
            SLS TG // SLATQH TSB // 2 CS Soloists both 24.75 scale // 5 Archtop PROs //

Comment

I have done this to 1 of my guitars. I only put about 2 degrees of neck angle in, but I wish I had put a little more in. Good luck! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

when you guys talk about angle, do you mean 4 degrees of backbow or 4 degrees of relief? and how do you measure the angle?
                Guitars:
                Jackson USA Shannon Soloist (blk)
                Jackson USA Custom Shop SL2H white/Silver Ghost Flames
                Bernie Rico Jr. Hybrid Vixen (blk)
                BC Rich NJ Gunslinger

Amp:
                ENGL Powerball -> ENGL Pro Cab 4*12(V30's)

Comment

The angle has nothing to do with neck relief as adjusted by the truss rod (ie backbow or relief). They are talking about the angle of the neck in relationship to the body. On a recessed floyd guitar, the neck is usually on a plane parallel to the body, or zero degrees. If the body is not recessed (for the floyd), then the floyd bridge has to sit higher above the body, and on those guitars the neck pocket is cut at an angle so the neck is tilted 'away'(or headstock lower) from the body the 4 degrees. This angle puts the neck on a tilted plane (vs. the body) so it will work with the higher floyd bridge height.

You'll even see similar angles of necks vs. body on a Les Paul to provide clearance for the tunamatic bridge.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    The angle has nothing to do with neck relief as adjusted by the truss rod (ie backbow or relief). They are talking about the angle of the neck in relationship to the body. On a recessed floyd guitar, the neck is usually on a plane parallel to the body, or zero degrees. If the body is not recessed (for the floyd), then the floyd bridge has to sit higher above the body, and on those guitars the neck pocket is cut at an angle so the neck is tilted 'away'(or headstock lower) from the body the 4 degrees. This angle puts the neck on a tilted plane (vs. the body) so it will work with the higher floyd bridge height.

You'll even see similar angles of necks vs. body on a Les Paul to provide clearance for the tunamatic bridge.

[/ QUOTE ]

but why does this guy above say that he only "put" 2 degrees on the neck? from what you are saying it seems like something the guitar is born with...
                    Guitars:
                    Jackson USA Shannon Soloist (blk)
                    Jackson USA Custom Shop SL2H white/Silver Ghost Flames
                    Bernie Rico Jr. Hybrid Vixen (blk)
                    BC Rich NJ Gunslinger

Amp:
                    ENGL Powerball -> ENGL Pro Cab 4*12(V30's)

Comment

The thread started with the generic question of 'converting' guitars to a non-recessed floyd. In order to convert a 'recessed floyd' where the neck and body are on the same plane (zero degrees) to a non-recessed (i.e. raised trem), then you either have to shim the neck or angle cut the body pocket.

Mulder mentioned he only put in 2 degrees, but based on his results, he wishes he had put in more angle.

A guitar as built by the manufacturer with a recessed floyd will have the neck on the same plane as the body, similarly a guitar as built by the manufacturer with a non-recessed floyd will come with the neck angled already.

The question here was what do you do when you want to change or convert a guitar or parts from the original specs.

I personally prefer my necks angled back, probably from my early days of playing Jackson Soloist and Randy V neck-thrus. The slight rear angle of the neck places the lower frets closer to the mid-line plane of my body, and my left arm and hand feel more comfortable. Plus, a non-recessed floyd has the strings farther from the body, which is another 'feel' that I prefer (based on resting my pinky of my right picking hand on the body for support. Because of this 'feel', I routinely shim the necks of my recessed floyd guitars (then raise the bridge accordingly), so they become more like my neck-thrus in 'feel'. It doesn't take much of a shim to accomplish a few degrees. I've found that cutting shims from 0.8mm and 1.0mm guitar picks work pretty well.

Hope this helps some in clarification. I could take a pic showing this neck angle when I get home if that would help you. Let me know.

Comment

Working...
                      X