Sanding off glossy finsish from epi sg neck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sanding off glossy finsish from epi sg neck

Would it work to just take some 800 paper and sand it of?
    I did this to my jackson and it worket great, but i doesn´t know how the painted mahoghany neck would react.
    Remember that i´m NOT planning to sand off all of the finnish, i just wanna get a more satin feel instead of gloss.

Re: Sanding off glossy finsish from epi sg neck

better off using 0000 grade steel wool, it'll take off less of the clear coat, and just scuff it up a bit.

sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

There are some posts on here regarding this matter.... They use 0000 Steel wool. I am actaully in the process of this myself. However, I think I want all the laquer gone.

Anyway here is the link to the post regarding the matter.

"Removing clear lacquer" - http://www.jcfonline.com/ubbthreads/...fpart=1#263712

Comment

@ JSullysix - You beat me to the submit button. LOL [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Well, i kinda like the little ruffer finish from sanding, Would sanding work fine on the sg?

Comment

it will work fine if you've got a lot of clear on there. you'll run the risk of going thru the clear coat and into the finish alot more with 800 grit. i really wouldn't advise it.

sully
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

ok, think im gonna try the steel wool thing then.
              Is there any risk to the neck by doing this?

Comment

nah, not really. just don't go thru the clear coat. if you just scuff the top of the clear, it's something that you can buff out later if you so desire.

sully
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I recently used fine grade steel wool on the back of the neck of my Ibanez RG560 to satinize it. Do it outside though because those gloss particles and steel wool shavings will go everywhere. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

It feels quite smooth, and if you do it uniformly, there is no trace of scratches or anything left over.

Comment

i've been using 0000 steel wool on the backs of my necks since i was 14 and have been nothing but happy with the outcome.

granted i just use it to take the dirt and grit out of the top layer of laquer to make it smooth and clean again. you can take it down as far as you want. and the beauty of it is that it will all be smooth and uniform. instead of ruined. hehheh.
                    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

You guys are very conservative. If you want that "bare wood" feel, simply sand all the finish off with 180 grit, then follow it up with 320 to smooth it out, then a couple of coats of tung oil. Let that dry three or four days and hit it lightly with the 0000 (or 000 is fine) steel wool and it'll feel fantastic! Remember to sand "with the grain" to avoid those ugly scratches.
                      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Working...
                      X