Sticky on Floyd replacing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sticky on Floyd replacing?

I'm not sure if anyone has the knowledge to put this together but wouldn't it be great if we had a sticky topic with some sort of scheme which says which type of floyd can be replaced with what type of floyd?
    And then maybe some sort of succesion rate since not everybody always has the same luck fitting the new trem.
    So just an overview of replacing floyds, maybe also with Kahlers.
    And maybe that when you want to swap a floyd that doesn't fit immediately, what do you have to do to make it fit?
    Hope this is understandable. I'd die for a lot of info on this.
    Right now I only know that a JT580LP is replacable with an OFR.

Re: Sticky on Floyd replacing?

Any Jackson/Charvel Floyd-type tremolo is replaceable with an OFR, EXCEPT for the Kahler-type two-point floating trem a found on many early Model model Charvels (the small unit).

The post spacing for the J/C trems is the same as the current Floyd Rose, Original Floyd Rose (Marked as "Original Floyd Rose" on the baseplate), and the older 80's Floyd Roses. I'm not sure about the Floyd Rose II. SOME guitars will require a slight mod to the trem cavity because of the shape difference under the baseplate (bar socket). The Schaller-style units have shorter string lock screws coming out the back, and on the recessed models this is a small issue as the longer Floyd Rose screws will be too long to fit into the recess. You'll either have to mod it or find shorter Floyd screws.

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

> The Schaller-style units have shorter string lock screws coming out the back, and on the recessed models this is
      > a small issue as the longer Floyd Rose screws will be too long to fit into the recess.

Or cut off the tip of the screws, and re-do them with some hard sandpaper.

btw the "shoulder" angled shape on a jt580 looks weird, i dont like the look of an OFR on a jt580 routed guitar (ke3, rr3, dk2, ......)
      "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
      The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

The 2001 DK2 I had didn't have an odd-shaped route, and a brand new OFR from Carvin fit it just fine with only minor wood/finish contact inside the route near the front of the cavity. A few deep bombs took care of it and it worked like a charm til I parted it out recently.

Newc
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Henrik (jackson1) started a useful tremolo info project ages ago but I'm not sure what became of it.

Comment

bah, we're better off just posting the specs and dimensions of all bridge types while we're at it (: (:
            "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
            The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Yes that might be helpfull too, to get an overview

Comment

Working...
              X