Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first Jackson... Help, please

Hey, hey!

I got a new guitar today, a used Jackson Professional Soloist. SN 700867 , maybe you folks can tell me the year? Sorry, no pics.

I have a few minor probs, though. Firstly, both pots and the switch are very scratchy and the output goes in and out, i.e., it takes some wiggling and jiggling to get it to make "full" sound. The jack seems to be fine, so I guess it's a wiring issue...which would suck immensely. Can anyone tell me what to buy to fix the scratchyness, to make sure it's not just that? Some type of contact cleaner? And where can I buy it?

Also, the guitar came with EMG's (85, SA, 81), but I already replaced the battery with a brand new one, so, it's not that.

I also need a bar for the Jackson licsenced Floyd. What will fit?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Re: My first Jackson... Help, please

Go to Radio Shack and get some spray tuner cleaner. Follow the instructions. Just a tip. When you are about ready to spray, turn your head and close your eyes. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
    I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Yes, go to Radio Shack. I believe its called TV Tuner Cleaner. Its basically lubricant with an aerosol propellant to spray it. The propellant evaporates leaving behind the lubricant. Get all down inside the pots, don't be stingy with it.

Being a Jackson Professional Soloist, the serial # 700867 would make it the 867th Professional Soloist made in 1997...I believe that is correct.

Don't be intimidated if the wiring is loose, you may just need to tighten a few nuts around the input jack. Even if something is loose, just ask around here for help.

Congratulations on a sweet guitar [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

txcharvel is correct, the radio shack stuff works great:
        web page

Also, hopefully whoever put in the EMGs used the correct 25k pots from EMG and the 'stereo' input jack. The EMG pots usually have a "V" and a "T" sticker on them. The battery connection is made when you plug in the cord into the jack, so look there and make sure all the wires are connected securely.

Comment

Replacement pots and switches aren't expensive. and for a floyd-rose whammy bar, what kind of bar is it..... does it screw directly into the trem plate, or does it have a "collar" that screws onto the receiver? either way, check out apintl.com (ap international) they sell all the OFR parts.

oh and txcharvel: where do you look up those serial numbers? on jacksonguitar.com they only list the rr models and some custom shops.... ???
          "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
          The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

700867? You mean J700867? If it's neckthrough it should start with a J, if it's a bolt-on (Dinky) it won't have the J but will have 6 digits.

Newc
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

delt, i'm not 100% sure if this is correct, but i think this is the numbering scheme:

Professional neckthrough, Japan:
              J0xxxxx = 1990
              J1xxxxx = 1991
              etc.

Professional bolt-on, Japan:
              1xxxxx = 1991
              2xxxxx = 1992
              3xxxxx = 1993
              4xxxxx = 1994
              5xxxxx = 1995
              96xxxx = 1996

Professional bolt-on, India & Korea:
              starts with 0 or 1 regardless of year of production. Number of digits i don't know.
              Henrik
              AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

It's a bolt-on, so it must be a Dinky. 700867, yeah. MAN, it plays and sounds spectacular, no joke.

It works pretty well now, the volume drops/cuts out not nearly as much. Pots/switch are still scratchy, but now I know how to fix that (thanks guys!). The EMG's are replacements, then? Ya, I was wondering why it has a push-pull volume knob. I don't think any of the pups are 89's, the neck pup logo is bronze/copper, the middle single is silver, and so is the bridge. It SCREAMS. I'm in love.

OK, I'll just look for the bar and stuff. It didn't come with the allen wrench for the lock-nut. What size do I need?

Thanks so much. If you can't tell, I'm super excited! I finally joined the club!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Replacement pots and switches aren't expensive. and for a floyd-rose whammy bar, what kind of bar is it..... does it screw directly into the trem plate, or does it have a "collar" that screws onto the receiver? either way, check out apintl.com (ap international) they sell all the OFR parts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's the collar-type. Thanks for the website!

Comment

First make sure your cable is inserted all the way into the jack of the guitar. EMG jacks seem to be pretty tight and sometimes when you hear a click you might think it's in, but you have to push again. If the cable isn't in fully, you will experience the scratchiness and cutting out problems like you have.
                    On the other hand, if the cable is in all the way, then try some cleaner or replace the pots or switch.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      I was wondering why it has a push-pull volume knob. I don't think any of the pups are 89's, the neck pup logo is bronze/copper

[/ QUOTE ]
                      That color logo means it's indeed an 89. You can either use a push/pull knob or a mini switch for this pickup to switch to single coil mode.
                      The silver logo on the bridge pup means it's an 81, and the silver logo on the middle pup is an S model.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The nut allen wrench should be 3mm. The saddle adjustments on the bridge should be 2.5mm. Some guitars have use an allen wrench (4 or 5mm) to adjust the neck truss rodSuggest going to hardware store and getting a metric allen wrench set so you have everything covered. A decent set is under $10.

Comment

yeah i'm on a magical quest for the right allen key to fix up my bass bridge. it's smaller than a 2.5 but bigger than those teeny ones for fender type bridges.

oh and post some pics of that gtr man!
                          "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                          The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

oh and post some pics of that gtr man!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll see what I can do [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] . I didn't buy it 'cause of its looks, though, I bought 'cause of its playability. And the SOUND, oh Lord, the SOUND! There's something to this Jackson thing, and to this EMG thing, too.

Thanks everyone for your help, I'll update soon!

Comment

OK, guys, big problem. I can't get the Floyd set up. Can someone please give me (or link me to) a comprehensive guide to getting this sucker right? Sorry, Sully's didn't help too much. I'm immensely frustrated, I can't even play my new guitar, and it's not gonna be till next month at the earliest that I'll be able to take into a shop...

Thanks for all your help.

Comment

Working...
                              X