Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gotoh Locking Vintage Oval Knob Tuners (+ pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gotoh Locking Vintage Oval Knob Tuners (+ pics)

This is mostly for you Strat headstock players, but it's about the tuners so i hope this is not placed in the wrong forum.

I was having tuning stability issues with my MIJ Fender Strat from 1995. The tuners were worn or just plain bad quality, because some of the strings kept slipping when i bended notes. I was tuning that thing constantly. I decided to try the Gotoh Locking Vintage Oval Knob Tuners and bought them from StewMac.

They are a direct retrofit and look very much like the real thing. I replaced both the tuners and the bushings and it fits perfectly.

Below are some pictures so you can see how it looks. Note that only the Gotoh high E-string tuner is mounted in these pictures - the rest are still the old originals (for comparison reasons).

The stability is great. I've only played them for a few minutes but the improved stability and the feel of the new tuners are great! I think it's a good mod that don't ruin the vintage look.

Henrik
    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Re: Gotoh Locking Vintage Oval Knob Tuners (+ pics)

Tuner looks great! That's a smart mod bro. Also, I'd get rid of that damned brass nut and put in a graphite one. It'll stay in tune a little better and lose a little of that "quacky" tone. (unless you like that)
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Great mod. Great pics. I love these kinds of "hidden" useful mods. Thanks for posting this.

Comment

I love that damned brass nut. Looks cool and if it adds to the quack, i'm all for it. It's a Stratocaster, goddammit! Mother Of All Quackers! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

If i remember correctly, brass consists mainly of copper and zinc and therefore makes a fairly good self-lubricating metal, which is a good thing here. I could be wrong, though, it's been many years since i was at taught this stuff at school.
        Henrik

Comment

You're right about the brass, I just don't personally like them. You quacker you! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

You also might wanna try raising that string tree, or eliminating it altogether. That's some of your tuning problems right there.

Comment

Chuck, i thought about that string tree and if the strings got stuck there, but i can't hear it click or anything when i tune or bend, so i thought they weren't part of the problem. I'm not used to having string trees so thanks for the heads up. How do normal people go around raising that tree? Shim it? How much? Mount another higher tree?

Quack-quack..
              Henrik

Comment

I am shocked to see your guitar came with Ping tuners on it. Those are horrible tuners. How long have you personally owned the guitar? Do you think someone may have changed them once before in the past?

Comment

Tell me more about the Ping tuners. Does Fender use them on some of their models? I have only had this guitar for a few months and i don't know its full history - other than the seller claimed that Yngwie himself played it on stage at a show here in DK.... yeah right [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  Henrik

Comment

Fender uses Ping on some low end Mexico and Korean models. Most post 70's Fender with Kluson style tuners you find Gotoh brand vintage styles on USA and Japan guitars. You also find Ping brand used on some Epiphone guitars. WD sells them under the "Kluson Deluxe" brand name. The tuner has a slightly smaller than Gotoh (and real Kluson) post and the materials aren't as nice (they feel like die cast pot metal rather than machined to me). You can also see a difference where the tuner oval knob mounts to the stem. The Ping has a raised area on the knob and the Gotoh does not.

Typically the Japan models have the Gotoh vintage style tuner. I haven't seen any really recent models, so it was kind of shocking to see Ping's on a Japan model.

Comment

You should also do the first wrap of string over and then under the others down the post to keep the strings from slipping. Or does that method really not apply to vintage tuners?
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

With the Kluson style tuners I never wrap the strings. I take the low E string and move it to the next tuner, bend a 90 degree angle,, snip it down to around 1/3", drop it in the hole and wind it up. As I move up the strings I add a little more string length than the previous. By the time I get to the high E, I guesstimate where two tuners up would be and bend it there. The real key to getting the Kluson style restringing right is getting just the right amount of wraps (you don't want too few or too many), and have enough string in the hole that drops down inside the shaft to lock the string.

In this case his new locking tuners are going to do away with almost all of that stuff.

Comment

Thanks for the tip, Jim. I haven't played on a guitar with tuners like that in a very long time.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            You also might wanna try raising that string tree, or eliminating it altogether. That's some of your tuning problems right there.

[/ QUOTE ]You can also buy a roller string tree for about $5 if you find your high E and/or B popping out of the nut with no string tree at all.
                            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Re: Gotoh Locking Vintage Oval Knob Tuners (+ pics

vintage adj. See: obsolete.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                              "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                              The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Working...
                              X