Rattlecan painters: advice sought, questions asked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rattlecan painters: advice sought, questions asked

Ok, I'm thinking of doing something with that 3-can colorshift paint system you can find at WalMart. I have no room or interest for a full-on workshop with a gravity-feed professional spray system at the moment, so please don't suggest that OR that I take/send it to a shop. I'm Newcensteining here, nothing else.

Ok, with that outta the way, what I need to know is:
    -Has anyone here used that 3-can WalMart/AutoZone system (which one's better?)
    -Regarding the direction of the color shift, is that controllable?
    Meaning, if you paint a guitar in red/blue shift, and it starts at red when tilted to the right and changes to blue when tilted to the left, how do you apply the paint so that you can have alternating stripes? For example, say you paint a Versatel graphic and you want the top stripe to shift from left to right (red to blue), but you want the second stripe to shift right to left (blue to red), so that the top stripe starts red and the second stripe starts blue, they meet in the middle, and then shift in opposite directions? Would I have to find a package that specifically states "Red to Blue" and one that states "Blue to Red", or is it in the application? I read some of the directions at the store, and it's got the basecoat (black), the colors in one can (I guess like Krylon's Camo?), and the topcoat which it says is important to make it shift, but not really HOW it's important.

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Re: Rattlecan painters: advice sought, questions asked

newc, i have used the advance auto version and the paint worked great, just wasnt a hard finish, maybe paint it and clear it with an automotive clear? most shops will do that for around 50 bucks
    the base coat is the important part as that is really what gives it the color change effect. as for alternating stripes you figure out how to do that and you let me know that would be cool, maybe do a blue to red,mask that off and do a different color scheme like gold to green? just an idea. let me know how it turns out

Comment

Thanks. I do get the feeling that it's going to be very tricky. I had thought that type of paint had to be applied in a specific direction, but the directions on the box said you can use a sweeping (back and forth) motion. It'd be simple if it had said "You MUST spray only in one direction", then all you have to do is reverse it [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      I dunno, maybe flip the body upside down between layers? I'll hafta find a store that carries all possible color combos I guess (i.e. red to blue, blue to red, etc etc).

Newc
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Sorry Matt, that's going to be a tricky process. To achieve the results you want you'll have to use mirrors when painting the reversae stripes. That's gonna be tough since you wear glasses. I wish I could help more bro.
        [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]
        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          Maybe if I get some rose colored glasses it'd come out right [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Hey, glad ya popped in, though - I got a PM for ya [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Newc

Comment

I don't know if you can get the look your going for from these kits. I am considering doing a silver to green flame pattern over a ice body with these kits. Hope it works out for you. I painted a JS 20 body with the duplicolor lacquer cans that I got at an Advance Auto store and it seems to be a pretty hard finish, I assume you could use the clear duplicolor lacquer over the shifting paint kits for extra protection as they are both lacquer.

Here's a link to duplicolor's site showing all available kits. They also have some pretty cool anodized paints as well.

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/mirage.html

Chris
            Are YOU a Jackson Warrior? Join us and be all that you can be!

Comment

PM back at ya Matt
              My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

PM Pong [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Thanks Chris [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Newc

Comment

Heh - some guy painted a lefty Squier in Blue/Purple [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

http://www.duplicolor.com/projects/c...CP_rockon.html

Newc

Comment

Well, maybe you could ask that guy about the durability of the paint kits, since he tried it out on the walkway. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Holy sh!t! [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] I hope he put something under that. It's no custom Jackson or anything, but I still think I would be a little more careful than that!

Here are some links of other brands of shifting paint kits.

http://www.plastikote.com/plastikote...ct=KustomEffex

http://www.krylon.com/main/product_t...roduct_details

Chris

Comment

Kool [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

The Krylon Kit has the 3 kolors I'm looking for - Purple, Green, and Gold (not too wild about the Blue/Magenta/Silver shifts but hey, better than the Spasti-Kote Green to Gold (too similar), and the 3-color shift? yukky poo [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc

Comment

Re: Rattlecan painters: advice sought, questions a

i've used the duplicolor one on my rhoads .... well, that is, i used, scraped off, and will use again because i screwed it up (:

but i have no idea how to "reverse" the direction of the color shift........ maybe use a different brand, same color of the stuff? or put a gloss black between the basecoat and color? (if that doesn't screw up the adherence)

on the same note, what primer should go between the wood and the base coat?
                        "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                        The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

What happened? I'm going to do one pretty soon, so maybe I can learn from your mistake. As far as primers go, I just used Duplicolor automotive primer from a can on the Kramer body that I done a Lynch style bengal on.

Chris

Comment

My mistake was that i had left the original finish on (i just sanded it a bit) and sprayed over it, i could scratch the duplicolor paint off with my thumb nail [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

i also fukked up the pinstripes, and there was a few touch-ups i wanted to do on the body anyways. the guitar is now in prototype phase 2.0 (tm) and i'm just waiting for a few electronic parts to make sure everything fits the way i like before re-painting it.

.... "bengal" ?? i just did a search and learned that's a place in india (: (:
                            "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                            The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

.... "bengal" ?? i just did a search and learned that's a place in india (: (:

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't posted any pics of the Kramer bengal yet... I had a little problem with paint bleeding through the tape. I also sanded through some parts of it, so I have to do a little touch up work.

I have posted pics of my JS 20 bengal body in the Import forum. Still haven't found the time to finish it though. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] http://www.jcfonline.com/ubbthreads/...fpart=1#264931

Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X