More pickup advice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More pickup advice.

Ok, I'm taking the oversize pickup rings off of my 87 Student Arch top to send out to Budman to make up a set that will fit stock size pickups so she'll be out of commission for a while [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] . While I have it partially apart I thought I would experiment with the bridge pickup. It has a JB. I'm not a fan of the JB in Mahogany with maple cap guitars. I love them in alder or poplar guitars, but otherwise, they just don't do it for me. I would love to put in a set of EMG's, but I want to retain a traditional look. The seymours in it now are zebras and I love that look for the guitar.

I would put Bill Lawrence L500XL's in there, but again want a more traditional look. I was wondering what Seymours or Dimarzio's are good for high gain close to an EMG 85. Now I know I won't find anything that will sound like an active pickup, but I just want something similar. Any ideas?

Jim
    "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Re: More pickup advice.

EMG-85? I am told that the APC Persuader Lead is the passive equivalent of the EMG-85. I am dying to get one. I'll let you know in a few weeks if you want to wait that long... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Except, APC pickups are covered pickups, like Lace Sensors (same dude, Melvin Lace) and EMGs. So that might turn you off since you want zebra pickups.

I was also going to try a DiMarzio Tone Zone for that fat classic tone that I seek.

Comment

Absolutely beautiful guitar! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] As far as Duncan pups, how about a SH-5 Custom, SH-6 Distortion,and SH-10 Full Shred. All are available in Zebra. What color rings are you going with? Gold? I think cream would look killer as well. Here's a link to Duncan's site so you can check the tonal properties of their pups. Good Luck.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/website...uncanCustom153

Chris
      Are YOU a Jackson Warrior? Join us and be all that you can be!

Comment

Thanks! I was wondering about a custom or a Distortion. I'm going to go with solid brass rings, but I think I'll have Dave make me a set of black plastic ones as well. I know that the black looked ok and I think that the brass will look great, but, due to the rings being thicker, I'm want to cover my bases.

NOTP, I am dying to put an 85/81 combo in it. Maybe with the brass ring it will look ok. The guitar originally came with Jackson cover pickups. It's actually in the gallery. It's arch top #00033. I think I can wait to hear how you like the APC's. I'm curious.

Jim

Comment

Duncan Distortion, hands down the best high output pickup I've ever tried. And it is available in zebra. I've got a pair of Distortions lying around because I'm back and forth about swapping out the EMG 89s that are in my 750xl. Every time I thiink about doing the swap, I pick it up and I get great tone out of it.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Duncan Distortion, hands down the best high output pickup I've ever tried. And it is available in zebra. I've got a pair of Distortions lying around because I'm back and forth about swapping out the EMG 89s that are in my 750xl. Every time I thiink about doing the swap, I pick it up and I get great tone out of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have 85/81 combo in my Arch top pro and I have to say, it sounds great. I may try a distortion in there. We'll see.

Comment

Working...
            X