Ok How do I keep my Kahler in tune?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok How do I keep my Kahler in tune?

I've got a Kahler on one of my guitars and even when I don't use the bar the thing goes out of tune so easily and so frequently that I'm thinking of modding it to a floyd.
    What's the secret? The strings are thoroughly stretched, it just won't stay in tune. [img]/images/graemlins/help.gif[/img]
    If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Re: Ok How do I keep my Kahler in tune?

Try tightening the neck mounting screws and make sure the locking nut is clamping the strings tightly (not grooved)
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I'm hoping that's the problem, the Kahler lock nut is old (duh obviously), I will have to get in touch with axeparts and get a new one. It's really annoying, even when I don't use the bar it's tough to keep in tune. My only non floyd guitar but my only SD Charvel.

Comment

Make sure the strings aren't binding up in the nut,could be the problem right there,if not the lock-nut probably isn't clamping the strings tight enough!!

Comment

Thanks Chuck , I'll check that as well, I already ordered a new lock nut from axeparts, so I'll see, it's my Bengal too, man it's pissing me off, I think you're local to me (Boston) if I can't figure it out wanna take a look at it for me? I know you've got a bunch of Kahlers.

Comment

well that seemed to be the problem, I've unclamped and reclamped making sure that the strings aren't binding up and the clamp is on real tight and it's staying tune better than last night. thanks Chuck

Comment

Kmanick,
              I had this saved link from an earlier post.
              It could be your adjustment on your spring is loose.
              Finn
              http://www.glowingtubes.com/p/Kahler_Instructions.htm

Comment

Hey Nick,yeah I'm local bro,if you need me to look at it sometime shoot me an E-mail: [email protected]

Comment

Thanks, that's a real useful link to have

Comment

kmanick,
                    if you have the right kahler buy a set of bass tremelo springs it help me out and it stays in tune [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I can't pull up the glowingtubes site, is anyone else having trouble with it? I have a Model 6 with a kahler (pro, i believe). I don't even lock the nut because i don't use the bar anymore. It stays in tune great that way but I would like to use the bar again so any links, info, etc. would be appreciated. If I do use the bar, it actually stays in tune BETTER with the nut unlocked (just have to pull up after every dive)! Can't figure that one out.
                      Nick, can't wait to get my hands on that 88 Snakeskin from you!
                      Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        I can't pull up the glowingtubes site, is anyone else having trouble with it? I have a Model 6 with a kahler (pro, i believe). I don't even lock the nut because i don't use the bar anymore. It stays in tune great that way but I would like to use the bar again so any links, info, etc. would be appreciated. If I do use the bar, it actually stays in tune BETTER with the nut unlocked (just have to pull up after every dive)! Can't figure that one out.
                        Nick, can't wait to get my hands on that 88 Snakeskin from you!

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">That is link is working fine right now. The problem you may be experiencing is a stretched pair of springs. Try replacing those and it should improve the stability. </font>
                        Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Nope, I get a HTTP 404 error-file not found with a pic of a space ship and crickets chirping in the background -lol.
                          Strings aren't the problem. That's one of the things I love about the guitar - I can put new strings on, do a few bends, strech them a few times, and it's in tune ready to go. But not when I use the bar. Maybe I'll just take it in for a setup.
                          Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

The locknut was the Kahlers downfall. The little blocks and sometimes even the inside of the nut frame tend to wear out and develop grooves and no longer hold the strings tight. My Coors Light Soloist has a Floyd nut with the Kahler and that system is totally reliable. It is too bad they didn't use Floyd nuts on them from the start.

Comment

jwoods,sounds like your strings might be getting caught up in the nut slots(the nut,not the Kahler lock-nut!!)so when you use the bar it's not returning to pitch,try some pencil lead in the slots but they may need to be filed too!!

Comment

Working...
                              X