string thru bridge with fine tuners?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• string thru bridge with fine tuners?

I'm thinking of creating a JS30 RR project/mess.

JS30 RR body
    Bridge (possibly this one )
    DK2 neck
    EMG pickups (81/85 or 85/85)
    Vintage pins

Now for the questions:
    Obviously using a neck with a locknut I would want to have fine tuners on the bridge so I could use the locknut.

1st: If I use the bridge pictured will I nullify the string thru body design of the JS30? will that be a problem? Would there be any drawbacks?

2nd: Is there any tune-o-matic style bridges that have fine tuners without the tailpiece? Kevin (KMaynard) is this possible to design build?

[img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]

In case the pic doesn't show, here is the link. stew-mac
    KV DM PRO, SLSXMG, RRXMG, DXMG, LP P90 Goldtop_GSP1101_RM4: JF SL-OD100_Randall RT2/50_Peavey 4x12 cab
    I'm loving the Jaded Faith mods. Going Egnater Dual mod route: Voxless, SL-OD100, Brahma #39, QuickMod GT

Re: string thru bridge with fine tuners?

Interesting idea, and yeah you should be able to build one, or modify that particular bridge. Take out the ball pockets and use longer fine tuners. You might have to drill new stringthrough holes in the body unless you can position the fine-tuner section properly, but basically what you'd want is the fine tuners hitting the strings between the body and bridge (hence the longer fine tuning screws).

You might even have to make the fine tuners reverse-direction and have them pull up on the string rather than push down, as the end of the screw may chew the strings up OR slip off, whereas pulling upwards you can at least solder a string tree or even a string ball end on it. Hmmm, might be able to use forward-moving screws with a ball end soldered to the end of the screw to press against the string.

Dr Newcenstein
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Haha I was going to do that to my JS30WR [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] using the Schaller 456. I've already got the EMG's in it [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] searching for a neck at ATM. Schaller also makes a fine tuing tailpiece for use with a TOM type bridge shown here http://www.schaller-guitarparts.de/1213.htm
      I will use the 456 for my project but new stud holes will need to be drilled, the 456 posts are quite a bit wider than a TOM bridge. Warmoth sells the same bridges fro slightly cheaper than StewMac btw. I really don't see any drawbacks but I'm not an expert. One of these days I will have a local luthier make me up a neckthru warrior copy just the way I want it.
      1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

Sounds like a cool idea, let us know how it turns out.

Thank you for the input Matt, I suppose if I had the bridge in person I could inspect it and have a better idea, but who wants to spend $70 on something that you may not end up using.
        KV DM PRO, SLSXMG, RRXMG, DXMG, LP P90 Goldtop_GSP1101_RM4: JF SL-OD100_Randall RT2/50_Peavey 4x12 cab
        I'm loving the Jaded Faith mods. Going Egnater Dual mod route: Voxless, SL-OD100, Brahma #39, QuickMod GT

Comment

ive got one of those bridges. they work great i have one on a guitar with out a locking nut. I dont know why youde want to lock a NON trem guitar. someone removed the fine tuners & it doesnt go out of tune, I put the fine tuners back & the only time i think use them is to tune while i play if needed but it stays in tune great. IMHO use sperzels or locking tuners instead of a locking nut. & if you do that you can use a badass bridge or the NON fine tuner schaller.

Comment

Yeah I keep seeing that point of view, but with the original idea being to swap the neck with a DK2 neck which already has a string lock... I suppose I could use the neck with out locking the strings down at the neck, but without it being a standard nut I wonder how that will affect the tone.

Comment

You can also get a replacement "standard" nut that will directly replace the Floyd nut. AllParts sells them.
              My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Working...
              X