650 XL Tuning problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 650 XL Tuning problems

I’ve recently bought a 1989 650XL. Amazing guitar but perhaps someone can help me with a couple of problems.
    First the tuning keeps dropping out – is this a trem problem – it’s got the original Jackson ‘floyd’ and the knife edges and posts seem ok. Also I’m never sure but when you set up a floyd should the trem body be flat – that is parallel to the guitar body , or at an angle?
    Second, the intonation is spot on but the 6th string 3rd fret (G) and 3rd string 2nd fret (A) are always sharp. I know this happens on some guitars but it’s enough to throw it out on open chords. Altering the neck relief seems to help a little – what should I set the neck relief to?
    Thanks in advance – I know how much you guys know.

Re: 650 XL Tuning problems

The tremolo should be parallel to the body, not leaning forward or backward.
    When changing strings, make sure you stretch your new strings properly after you tune up and BEFORE you lock the nut.
    If you've done that, check the nut locks to be sure they aren't grooved or slipping. Turn them sideways and see if the tuning stays.

Neck relief is individual preference, really, since it does affect action. Start with the neck flat at your desired tuning and loosen the truss rod until you eliminate all the odd sounds (fretting out, fret "ringing", that G/A problem you mention).

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Floyds can be finicky if they are not setup properly. It tends to take some trial and error to find what you like and what works for your setup but there are some standard guidelines to follow. I think there should be some info in the archives on this as well.

Personally..I try to level my floyds to the body as much as possible so it has down and up travel and 'floats'. If I ever angle it at all, it will have just an ever so slight bit of downangle to it which is opposite of Fender trems... but typically I go even to the body. Neck relief is also a personal choice. Some guys such as Jeff Beck like dead straight-no relief neck setups but typically you set it so there is a slight amount of relief.. .002-.008 from the tops of the frets. If your frets are fresh and leveled with precision you can have mimimal relief which is a setup I prefer. If you have fretwear, depending on the amount, your intonation can go out. That is where relief is usually done to eliminate fret buzz, dead outs and the like. Playability and action issues factor as well to personal preference.

Since you recently acquired the guitar. Depending on the condition of the floyd...I would pull the trem letting it soak in container of WD40 for a couple days. (depending on the finish and if the finish is flaking, I would also consider soaking individual parts) Pull it apart, noting which saddles came from which string and clean the parts with a toothbrush, Q-tips etc and start from scratch.

Comment

eastonguitars .com has some videos you can download on how to setup a floyd.

Even if you are very familiar with floyd roses, it still will teach you alot of things you wouldn't really think of.

Comment

Thanks for all the help guys
          Set up the trem
          Set the neck relief to virtually none and it plays like a dream.

Comment

Working...
          X