Truss rod adjustment question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truss rod adjustment question

I know with the truss rod adjustment at the nut on a regular neck, turning to the right (clockwise) towards the low E string is how to tighten a truss rod, and counterclockwise towards the high E is how to loosen it. I've always wondered about the rod on a neck that has the adjustment at the heel. Is it the same way or the opposite way (considering clockwise would now be towards the high E)?
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Re: Truss rod adjustment question

Its the same. Lefty loosy, righty tity.

Comment

Or you can think of it as being like bottle caps and lightbulbs [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Imagine the heel-accessed truss rod is upright like a head-accessed rod (or turn the neck upside down, putting the truss nut at the top) - makes it easier to remember [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Newc
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Thanks, guys! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Always clockwise to tighten. I have two acoustics (truss rod nut inside the sound hole) and three electrics (headstock truss adjustment), and apparently it's clockwise to tighten all five guitar truss rods.

That means they're essentially turning in opposite directions if you want to tighten.

Interesting... *scratches chin where devil goatee used to be*

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            That means they're essentially turning in opposite directions if you want to tighten.

Interesting... *scratches chin where devil goatee used to be*

[/ QUOTE ]
            When you tighten your truss rod you are shortening it's length, and it pulls the neck of your guitar back towards you. The idea of it turning in "opposite directions" just depends on your perspective, whether your looking at it from the top or bottom. There is no voodoo in there, a truss rod is basically a giant screw.

Comment

"A Giant Screw"......hmmmmmm.....so that's what my wife has been talking about.......... [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
              My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Working...
              X