Detached or unglued fingerboard on a neck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detached or unglued fingerboard on a neck

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Man, I'm sad because of buzzing strings on my Charvel. The 6th, 5th, and 4th (in special), are buzzing because I can see the fingerboard detached or unglued from the nut through the third fret, at the 6th string side of the neck. Is that fixable? How can I do it? There's no guitar smith around. Should I send the neck to be repair by a pro, instead of do it myself? That's the best idea... I think, but where?, I live in Puerto Rico. Please advise needed. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
    Thanks in advance...

Re: Detached or unglued fingerboard on a neck

As long as it's a clean separation, you can simply inject some glue in there with a syringe, and clamp it with a couple of blocks. I had the same thing with a guitar I bought on ebay. The fretboard was separated from the nut up to the 5th fret. No Biggie.
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Hi Zeegler, I thought about that. What glue do I need to use, simple wood glue? And just clamp the neck for few days?

Thnks for your reply friend...

Comment

Wood glue will work, but in order for it to flow properly into the crack, you might need to thin it first. I used cyano-acrylate (super glue) because it is very thin, and works well with a syringe. You could also use hide glue. I've never used it myself, but in all honesty it's probably the best thing to use because it can be softened up, and removed with heat if necessary down the road.

Comment

Oh yeah, you only need to clamp it overnight. Don't go crazy with the glue, and don't clamp it too hard.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            You could also use hide glue. I've never used it myself, but in all honesty it's probably the best thing to use because it can be softened up, and removed with heat if necessary down the road.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, he's absolutely right. If you should ever decide you want that fretboard seperated again all you have to do is put a heat gun to it and walla, it'll be just as **** up as it was before. Good thinking!!
            My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              [ QUOTE ]
              You could also use hide glue. I've never used it myself, but in all honesty it's probably the best thing to use because it can be softened up, and removed with heat if necessary down the road.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, he's absolutely right. If you should ever decide you want that fretboard seperated again all you have to do is put a heat gun to it and walla, it'll be just as **** up as it was before. Good thinking!!

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, you ass! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Sorry Zeeg.....just couldn't hold that one back!
                My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Wait, is it sperating from the nut or the neck? It sounds like it's seperating from the neck, but you wrote "nut" in there several times. If someone gets a nut around their neck it's called a "pearl necklace". I'd use wood glue.

Comment

Thanks friends...

Comment

I would recommend using a horse hide glue. Its the stuff you have to heat up and melt before using. Regular wood glue in my experience doesn't re-gell with a heat gun as easily and may cause damage to the fret board from overheating if it were to ever need to be removed. -Lou
                      " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

Working...
                      X