J. Frog project underway....???'s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J. Frog project underway....???'s

Alright, I got the go ahead from the boss to order the blank from Warmoth, I am going to be building a Mr. Scary guitar. I think I have it all figured out, except...I need to know about the angle of the headstock. I will be putting a recessed floyd on it, can I use a straight headstock? The reverse hockey stick shape only comes in non-angled. Will I need a string retainer bar?

Also, should I go OFR or save a few dollars and get the Schaller unit?

One more thing, I am going to angle the neck joint, how much wood do I need to still maintain structural integrity?

As usual, thanks guys!
    [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
    I still keep practicing though.... Mostly because I hate my neighbors.-MakeAJazzNoiseHere

Re: J. Frog project underway....???\'s

Go for the real Floyd.
    [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

It's not the angle of the headstock that matters when installing a recessed trem, it's the angle of the neck. Either way, angled headstock=no string retainer, straight headstock=string retainer. Let me get this straight.....you got the OK from the "boss" to "build" a guitar but you have to ask these questions?? Exactly how many guitars have you "built"???
      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I'm only "building" the body. I'm doing the body carving. Warmoth is going to route the trem cavity, neck pocket and humbucker hole, I'm just going to do the carving. I have alot of woodworking (tinkering) experience. The "boss" would be my financial advisor (wife).
        I still keep practicing though.... Mostly because I hate my neighbors.-MakeAJazzNoiseHere

Comment

BTW mm2002, that was a killer paint job you did on that 3DR body.

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] OK, now I understand about the "boss"....I have one of those too! I appreciate the compliment on the paint! It was just a quickie though. (I'm sure your boss knows about quickies, if not feel free to ask mine!!) [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

So, anyways, I'm layin' there trying to go to sleep thinking about this upcoming project, and it dawned on me that I may have typed something that's gonna cause some confusion. I meant I'm gonna angle the HEEL, not the neck joint. Kinda like on the back of a DK2 or similar. I don't get away with quickies, my boss is quite, ahem, demanding. Who am I to complain though?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] OK, now I understand about the "boss"....I have one of those too! I appreciate the compliment on the paint! It was just a quickie though. (I'm sure your boss knows about quickies, if not feel free to ask mine!!) [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I fell out of my chair when i read that.. LMAO

Comment

So, any more opinions on Schaller vs. Floyd? Also, since I will be carving down into the top of the body, how thick is the wood above the control cavity usually? I want to go down about 3/16 of an inch.

Comment

OFR=nice Schaller=nice too. It's your choice, but I actually like the Schallers better. I think it's because if you wear out the knife edges on a Schaller they can be replaced (so I've heard) but if you wear them out on an OFR you have to re-sharpen them or replace the whole baseplate. Another really cool thing is that you can find a Schaller with the Jackson logo on it, you can't find an OFR like that. On the other hand, the base plate on an OFR is solid steel and the Schaller is pot-metal so the OFR should have sustain for days while the Schaller will probably poop out after about 20 minutes. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
                    The up-side to the Schaller baseplate is that it will never rust, the OFR will. But then again, the OFR is probably going to sound much better because the knife edges are part of the baseplate. But maybe not. I'm really not sure. I do know that they both cost about the same so I say buy both, try them out, take back the one you don't like and get a refund. Now That's a PLAN!!!
                    [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

edit: oops, forgot about the wood-thickness issue....just start cutting, if you go through you can always fix it with a little bondo!

Comment

Should I go black or chrome for the trem? The original Bones guitar has black, and that would probably look better, but it seems like everyone buys chrome. Does it wear better or something?

Comment

a) go with the floyd...on principal...b) non angled reverse banana is one george's most famous one...he had another that had a right side up headstock as well...but the reverse is the one everyone knows about...you gonna paint a couple of the teeth gold?...d.m.
                        http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          Should I go black or chrome for the trem? The original Bones guitar has black, and that would probably look better, but it seems like everyone buys chrome. Does it wear better or something?

[/ QUOTE ]

Chrome is usually a little cheaper, but I have found the floyds with the black finish to be the most durable as I think most would agree.
                          Are YOU a Jackson Warrior? Join us and be all that you can be!

Comment

I've heard the black finish produces a more natural tone. That's probably why it's more expensive.

Comment

d.m., funny you should ask about the gold teeth, I actually thought about doing that.

Comment

Working...
                              X