Am i a weirdo or do you hear it too?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am i a weirdo or do you hear it too?

Having owned quite a few Floyded (OFR) guitars in my time, looking back i feel that the ones with the older pivot screws, that screws directly into the wood of the body, sounds better than the newer ones with the stud inserts. The un-amplified sound is affected the most, but i think it is audible even when playing the guitar thru an amp. I hear more sustain and a fuller sound, a bigger sound. Have you noticed the same?

Here the old pivot screw type:
    Henrik
    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Re: Am i a weirdo or do you hear it too?

Hmm. That may be true. It has more direct contact with the wood.

But surely there is a reason they use studs now?

Comment

I think it's all in your imagination bro! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Definitely a weirdo! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          But surely there is a reason they use studs now?

[/ QUOTE ]Absolutely. The old wood-post screws tend to move and tilt toward the neck after awhile. Not a very good design.

Comment

I knew it! I'm a weirdo with an X-Files imagination.

Do you wanna hear something else i found out when i was polishing the inside of the glass in my 12AX7 tubes in my preamp? If you fill the 12AX7's up with beer and peanuts (up till about the cathode), you get this smooth, sparkly sustain with...... hold on, there's some fizzling noises coming from my gear........later!
            Henrik

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              I knew it! I'm a weirdo with an X-Files imagination.

Do you wanna hear something else i found out when i was polishing the inside of the glass in my 12AX7 tubes in my preamp? If you fill the 12AX7's up with beer and peanuts (up till about the cathode), you get this smooth, sparkly sustain with...... hold on, there's some fizzling noises coming from my gear........later!

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Henrik you're crazy!

Comment

Hey Rob what's up! Any progress with....? you know what i'm talking 'bout [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                Henrik

Comment

you are definately weird.
                  but actually, i dunno because the other guitrs i have are all equipped with locking studs which seem to have a little more of a solid feel than non-locking.

Comment

Jackson1, I agree with you 100%.
                    The older Floyds with the wood screw posts and thinner plates do indeed sound better than the new ones.
                    I don't think it's a subtle difference at all.

As far as beer in the tubes...well...

Comment

Aha! Apparently, Chuck and me are made of very sensitive material. You guys are simply not in our league [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] j/k... That's good that i'm not the only one.

I had a Kramer with those wood screw posts for about 10 years and i currently own a 18 year old Fernandes Rhoads with the same wood screws and both of them have rock solid screws still. No tilt or slack in the threadings. Especially the Kramer was abused tremolo wise and that didn't hurt it. They might both have body's of hard rock maple - that could explain the trouble-free posts.
                      Henrik

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        The older Floyds with the wood screw posts and thinner plates do indeed sound better than the new ones.
                        I don't think it's a subtle difference at all.

[/ QUOTE ]
                        Maybe it's the thickness of the baseplate? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          Hey Rob what's up! Any progress with....? you know what i'm talking 'bout [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh... Yep. I'll send you an e-mail letting you know where I'm at.

Comment

> Hey Rob what's up! Any progress with....? you know what i'm talking 'bout [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

> Heh... Yep. I'll send you an e-mail letting you know where I'm at.

um.... do you two have anything you'd like to share with the rest of the class? (: (: (:
                            "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                            The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Yeah, what's up with that? If you can't discuss it with the rest of your bros then why bring it up?
                              My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Working...
                              X