Guitar body repair and refinishing project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar body repair and refinishing project

I thought this may be of interest to some of you who may be considering a refin. This is a project I've been working on for the past couple of days and I thought I'd take some pics along the way just to show MY method for a quick, good looking, and very durable refinish. Sorry about all the pics (dial-up users) but this was as few as I thought necessary to show the basic steps. This is an old model 3DR body I bought off eBay a year or so ago, and I'm finally doing something with it! I'm doing a lot of mods to this one but this post is just about the basic prep-n-paint process. It's an import body so I'm not taking a lot of time with it, just want it to look good and last!

Here's the first step, I stripped all the old paint off and filled the neck pup cavity, the top trem cavity (semi-recessed trem), the volume control and slider switch holes, and the trem post holes (which I've already re-drilled, more on that later). Yep, BONDO! No delicate woodwork here, just scraped out all the old paint, tapered the top edges with a razor blade (very important step unless you want those lines to come back and haunt you later!) and sanded her flat with a block and 180 grit. (the block is important here) For this project I want a (seemingly) 1 hum dinky body and this one will work nicely!

The next step was three good wet coats of a catylized primer surfacer (your choice, I used Diamont DP20) and let it harden over night.

Total time spent so far, approx. 2 hours. the next day I block sanded it again (this time with 320 grit), shot a coat of base color, and two coats of clear, and let it harden over night (about another hour spent). The next day (today!) I wet sanded the body just to get rid of any high/low spots (600 grit, soap and water, and yes....a block!)

I then applied two wet coats of clear and let it harden the rest of the day. About three hours later this is what it looked like:

The finish is hard as a rock, shines like glass, and PERMANENT! There will be no further shrinkage or haunting little lines showing up later down the road. The bondo will never shrink, nor will the catylized primers/base coats/or clear. Forget all that tedious cutting wood chunks to fill holes (pup cavities etc.), that new wood will shrink and swell and give you much headaches later! Here's the finishing products I use. There are others on the market but this is what I use on all m y classic car projects. This stuff hardens to a rock-hard glass-like finish! It flows so well that you really don't have to wet-sand and buff it unless you get a lot of dirt in it! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I hope someone here gets some good from this!! It works, and it's quick (under 4 hours spent from start to finish). Black is a hard color for me to photograph but this finish looks as good or better than any factory guitar finish I've ever seen! Just BE SURE to wear a respirator approved for poly paints! The Nason system is VOC (volatile organic compounds) compliant in most states but please check.
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Re: Guitar body repair and refinishing project

Pretty nice looking. What are you using to hold the guitar in the pictures with the base color?
    http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Wow, impressive! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] You make it sound so damn easy. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks for posting this, Mark! [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] You answered 2 questions that I've wanted to ask for a while. 1: Why not use Bondo to fill unused pickup routes, etc? 2: How do fast-curing 2-part paints work for guitar refins? I've got a fair bit of car & boat refin experience & always wondered about using some of the products on guitars. Is there any downside to speak of, tonewise?

Comment

Jack....that's an engine stand!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] no special equipment there bro!!!

NOP....it IS easy!!!

dg....if bondo is good enough for cars, why not guitars??? Yes the two part polys are the only way to go on a guitar refin. They are so durable and the shine just stays forever! ...as far as tone, just get good pups.....unless you're one of those freaks that like to play an electric unplugged!! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
          (you guys know who you are!)

Comment

What did you use to apply the primer/ and the paint? this could give me some motavation to buy a project [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Damn good question, I can't believe I left out that one minute detail! [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
              I use all HVLP (high volume low pressure) paint guns. The one I shot this one with was just a cheapy from harbor freight (I think it was around $69). It has a 1.4mm tip which is a decent all-around size for most primers and paints. That's small enough to atomize the paint well and large enough to shoot the primer. I use it a lot for small jobs out in the shop. The beauty of HVLP is the low amount of "over-spray" it produces which translates into more coverage per qty of paint, and less VOCs in the air. I have a couple of $400.00 + SATAs I use in the booth on cars merely because they produce a lot finer atomization (1.0 and 1.2 fluid nozzle/needle assys), but that kind of painting requires a lot cleaner air and is less forgiving of air-born particle contamination. It's hard to justify firing up and prepping a $25,000 paint booth to refin an import Charvel!

Comment

Thank you for this EXTREMELY useful information. I wish I would've known this before I spent untold hours working on my SL4 mods (very similar to yours - converted 2H w/vol, tone & slider to 1H w/vol).

Comment

Thanks much for posting this! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Very good info and the result looks fantastic!

I have to get to know that BONDO stuff, just haven't heard of it here where i live. In my book, the problem with these filling-up-cavities modifications, is that you put in a hard, non-shrinking lump of material into a body of wood which is organic. The lump won't shrink or move but the surrounding wood might - thereby creating cracks around the lump.

But i am no expert, i even used a similar method on one of my guitars and have yet to see how it turns out. That could take months and will depend on temperature changes and humidity before it shows.
                  All i'm saying is that i respect the guys who are saying that the only bulletproof way to do this job, is to veneer the top (Hey sully [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]).

Also, i think the mods you are doing with removing the recess, neck pu and stuff looks really cool. Very clean & no nonsense [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] I want an import body to work on too, now!
                  Henrik
                  AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Awesome stuff. I will be ready for painting on several projects quite soon, and you've really opened my eyes. Unfortunately I don't own a compressor, or a paint gun. Do you think it would be worth looking into one of those "paint your own car" dealies?
                    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Jackson1 - you have a good point about the wood not being as stable as the filler. My feeling on this is that if your working with an old piece of wood (in my case 16 years old) it is dry and fairly stable. As long as you seal it completely (notice I sealed everything including the neck pocket, pup cavity, trem cavity, etc.) it will not be affected by atsmopheric conditions unless they are very extreme. Another key is to use two-part paints as they do not shrink once they have hardened. Probably the MOST important part is to taper the top edges of the routes and feather the bondo into the surrounding surface before priming. If this is all done right it will look great for years to come, and hey, if a year down the road you see a tiny line show up just wet sand it a little and polish it out!
                      Please remember that my intentions with this post was how to do a quick and simple mod/refin that would look great, be durable, and all without dicking around with it for three months as I see so many do. If this were a $3000.00 guitar I wouldn't have used this method, but this project took under 6 hours from start to finish.

Zeeg - you can rent a compressor for about $25.00 and a cheap $69.00 spray gun will work fine with a little practice. You'll spend about $150.00 on primer, clear, and hardners (That's probably enough to do 15 guitars!) and a pint of the base color is only about 12 bucks for each guitar. You do the math, it's pretty cheap!

Comment

Looks great, Mark! More pics, please, when you're done!

Keith
                        The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          Probably the MOST important part is to taper the top edges of the routes and feather the bondo into the surrounding surface before priming.

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree. This step is so important. I don't know if i am the type that dick around forever, i just find this interesting and want to find the best way possible to fill cavities without veneering.

But actually, if i take a closer look at my USA & Japan Jacksons i see lots of imperfections in the finish - especially thin visible lines showing where wings have been glued to the core of the body. They don't bother me, i only notice them when i closely examine the guitar. That goes to show that even factory finishes have flaws or develop them over the years.
                          Henrik
                          AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

"notice I sealed everything including the neck pocket, pup cavity, trem cavity, etc"
                            Thanks for the tip. I'm getting inspired to fire up the old compressor.

Comment

Yup Jackson1, if you look closely at factory finishes (especially the custom shop stuff) you can find flaws. Let's get real here folks, you're talking about wood, glue, and paint, and that's not a real good combination to begin with now is it!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I'll be the first to admit that some colors and graphics can hide the flaws better than others but when you're painting something pure **** BLACK there isn't anything hidden! I tried to get a couple of better pics of the 'ol 3DR body today and I emphasized some reflections so you can actually see the "flatness" of the finish. It's not perfect but for a quickie it looks pretty damned good to me. Oh yeah, in one of the shots you can see the gold Gotoh trem where I was checking out the fit. For those who can't understand why someone would take an original FR drilled body and convert it to a V-Trem I'll explain: This guitar is going to be a long sought after combo to me. I had to convert it to a standard trem because I'm installing a set of Ghost saddles complete with the "acousti-phonic" preamp & their "quick switch", and (my favorite!)...... an SD Invader hum. By using a stereo guitar cable routed to two seperate pre-amps I should be able to flick a switch and go from a rich accoustic sound to full shred! If this works out (and I know it will) this will be my dream guitar; a single hum Dinky that can also double as an accoustic. hmmmmmmmmmm......maybe it's the beer!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] No, seriously this is gonna work!
                              BTW, my friend Dave (Budman68) is making all the gold hardware for this guitar and it's gonna **** rock folks! (at least I hope [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img])

Comment

Working...
                              X