How to tell if the neck is messed up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to tell if the neck is messed up

Before i give the guy on ebay a good rating i want to make sure the neck is straight. what should i look for to see if it's off? i look at the action and it's low at the 1-5 fret and gradually gets higher, my greco also looks like that. i just want to make sure.

Thanks

Re: How to tell if the neck is messed up

Ttake a straight edge and lay it along the frets (I have an 18" steel ruler that works great) in between each pair of strings. It should touch the first and last fret, and around the 8th fret or so, there should be a slight clearance (relief, most people like this). If the ruler touches the middle frets, but rocks back and forth to touch the first and last like a see-saw, you have backbow. THese are usually adjustable by the trussrod, unless they are really far off. If it touches all of the frets, it is straight as an arrow.

THen sight down the neck-hold the headstock up to your face (be careful of pointy string ends) and look straight down each side of the neck like it was a rifle. You should notice a slight curve (very slight) in either direction. If it looks "S" shaped or twisted, you have a little more trouble than just adjusting the truss rod. That should just about cover it.

Comment

Re: How to tell if the neck is messed up

Thanks so much sir [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
      X