can some please help? pickups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can some please help? pickups?

what duncan sounds good for metal in the bridge spot of a alder jackson with a OFR?
    i want a duncan that drives the amp(JCM 800) harder and has good presence(crunch) without mud in the low end? i want the lows to be very tight and focused
    i was thinkin duncan distortion?
    is that a good pup for this application?
    i think eric peterson from testament used one

Re: can some please help? pickups?

One JCFer says the Duncan Distortion is the "best metal riffing pickup ever". [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Try it. You might love it.

I'm personally tempted to try out a Duncan Custom soon though. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Custom Custom [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        One JCFer says the Duncan Distortion is the "best metal riffing pickup ever". [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Try it. You might love it.

I'm personally tempted to try out a Duncan Custom soon though. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel as though I've made an impact in some small way. The Distortion is indeed the "best metal riffing pickup ever!"

The Custom is nice as well, but it just didn't do it for me as much as the Distortion. I found that the Custom is a little more open and the harmonics don't jump out as much. The Distortion seems to be a little more focused and the harmonics practically hit themselves. I've got one in my 650xl and it rips out the best metal riffing tone I've ever heard.

Comment

I like the JB myself.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel as though I've made an impact in some small way. The Distortion is indeed the "best metal riffing pickup ever!"

The Custom is nice as well, but it just didn't do it for me as much as the Distortion. I found that the Custom is a little more open and the harmonics don't jump out as much. The Distortion seems to be a little more focused and the harmonics practically hit themselves. I've got one in my 650xl and it rips out the best metal riffing tone I've ever heard.

[/ QUOTE ]
            how is it's low end? i need a very focused and tight bass?
            i also need real good presence from the pup?
            does the DD fit this bill?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Custom Custom [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
              nah it uses a alnico II magnet which gives a very loose spongey bass [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I say yes, the bill is fit. The low end is mighty nice in my 650, tight and defined. Although a lot of that might have to do with how I eq the amp, remember. Some people think it can be a little much on the treble side (not as much as the JB). I've never had this problem. It is clean and articulate in all registers. But I do back off on the treble and boost the mids and lows on my amp.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  I say yes, the bill is fit. The low end is mighty nice in my 650, tight and defined. Although a lot of that might have to do with how I eq the amp, remember. Some people think it can be a little much on the treble side (not as much as the JB). I've never had this problem. It is clean and articulate in all registers. But I do back off on the treble and boost the mids and lows on my amp.

[/ QUOTE ]
                  travis one guy said the name "duncan distortion" is very misleading?
                  he said it has a really nice tone even though it is very powerful? that is what i want good tone+POWER [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                  I play real heavy stuff and crunch and sear is a must! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

tone + power = Duncan Distortion. Get it and if you don't like it, you can always exchange it within 21 days for another Duncan. (Unless you buy it used)

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      tone + power = Duncan Distortion. Get it and if you don't like it, you can always exchange it within 21 days for another Duncan. (Unless you buy it used)

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Ya want bass? Play a bass guitar. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I'm not sure what you guys mean by "open" or "focused". And don't use words like "tight" or "loose" to explain those two words either, please. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I KNOW what I want in a sound, but words describing them are very vague. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I'm basically looking for the hot fat classic sound of an EMG-85 (as opposed to the sterile flat thin EMG-81) in passive. Distortion might do, but I was also looking at a DiMarzio Tone Zone too.

Comment

APC Persauder Lead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I'm more of a DiMarzio Distortion, X2N, Norton or Tone Zone guy, but if you just want to stick with Duncans and want high gain, crushing low mids and bass, then I think the Invader is what you want! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I had two in my old Kelly, and it didn't get muddy at all.
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Mmmm. Tight Bottom and Open Tops [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Seriously, get the Distortion. It's not "misleading" - it's a high-output pickup that will push a low-gain amp harder and has excellent bass, mids, and highs for both rhythm and leads.
                              DO NOT use it with a high gain amp like a Triple Rectumfrier or other such nonsense, as the Distortion pickups were designed to work with OLDER amps waaaaay before High-Gain amps and mods were widespread. For a high-gain amp, you would use a weaker pickup than a Distortion because it will only saturate the tone further, and sound like bees in a bottle.

And yes, you may have to actually adjust your EQ on your amp if the Distortion doesn't sound exactly like you want it to the first time you plug in. You may even have to raise or lower the pickup to fine tune the tonal response to your personal taste.

Newc
                              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                              X