recessed vs non-recressed Floyd Rose tremolo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• recessed vs non-recressed Floyd Rose tremolo

I already asked this in another thread, but it was pretty off topic there and no one replied...

From reading some threads I noticed that a lot of you guys prefer non-recessed Floyd Rose tremolos. Is it only because of the look or does it have a special advantage compared to a recessed one?

Re: recessed vs non-recressed Floyd Rose tremolo

String height from frets (Action) - same for both types
    Tonal quality - same
    Neck angle - Slanted back for non-recessed, straight for recessed
    Pick attack angle - some find a difference between the two, others don't (I do)
    "Better" pick angle attack - depends on the player
    "Better" tone - depends on the player
    "Better" looks - depends on the player

You CAN set a non-recessed tremolo so that it rests on the top of the body, whereas you can't with a recessed trem. The advantage here is that if you break a string, you maintain your tuning, however it's been my experience that if you break a string, either you or the guitar has a problem that needs addressing [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

it's all good to me. I have both and I like them both fine. Each feels different but works just as well as the other. Although, there is something cool about the look of an old school axe with a non-recessed Floyd.
      Hail yesterday

Comment

Thanks guys! That's what I expected to read, even though I don't see why the pick angle should be different [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Edit: 100 posts!!! *rushingtoclassifieds* [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

the pick angle is effected because the strings sit higher off the body with a non-recessed trem. That's one factor in some players' preference for them.
          Hail yesterday

Comment

hmmm.... the distance from your hand to the strings should always remain the same, whether you have a recessed tremolo or not. From there the pick angle should remain too. (at least with my playing technique [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img])

Comment

Yes, but the distance from the strings to the surface of the body is NOT the same, and if you use the surface of the body to rest your middle, ring or pinkyfinger on, then you have a difference in feel.
              Henrik
              AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

It's actually not so much as the pick/string distance as it is the position of your picking hand.
                Many of us are old-school hamfists who started out on Les Pauls and such, but the Floyd-style trems require a slightly different picking-hand position than a stopbar/TOM combo, thus resulting in a slightly different angle of attack.
                However, if you started out playing on a Floyd, then you probably won't notice a difference unless you went to a Gibson-type bridge, where you'd probably find that your hand is in more of a fist when you pick.

Newc
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I always had Floyd- and TOM-equipped guitars and I never rest or anchor any fingers on the body-surface or pickup-rings. That might be the reason why I have a hard time with that. I think I will pay special attention to the angel... just out of curiosity [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Non recessed for me. I do tend to wrap my fingers under the first string when I'm playing (obviously not when I'm playing on the first string, then I rest my fingers on the body). Because of that, the non recessed Floyd just feels better to me. Perhaps that is why I can't seem to find newer Jacksons that fell good to me. [img]/images/graemlins/idea2.gif[/img]

Comment

Me - recessed....dunno if it is the lower string height over body or the more 'technical' look that I prefer....just one of those personal choice things I reckon.

R

Comment

note to my post above: I meant the angle and not the angel [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I love the non-recessed Floyd. Since it rests higher off the body, I find that my picking hand doesn't hit the volume knob unnecessarily, and instead, my hand glides above it and I'm not obstructed. I do like the volume knob closeby, and I like gliding over it when I'm not purposely using it.

About what Newc said about the tonal differences... maybe you might argue that the non-recessed Floyd has more tone because there's more wood left in the guitar compared to the recessed one where more wood had to be cut away for the recess. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] It's up to you. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I prefer the non-recessed trems as well. I like the way my pick hand rests up one a Floyd. I don't like the wood routed away from the bridge like that. When the Floyd is set deeper in the body, it feels a little different on my pick hand. It takes me a while to adjust my pick hand when going back and forth. I don't use the bar very much and almost never pull up on it anyways so I don't see the need to recess it. Also with the proper neck angle you cam set a Floyd to pull up without a recessed route.
                            shawnlutz.com

Comment

I also prefer the non-recessed. Mainly it feels more comfortable when palm muting on the wound strings/playing rhythm compared to a recessed trem where I feel the body of the guitar is "in the way" of my palm. I prefer the body being way below the trem so my palm isn't mashing into it. Playing lead runs/harmony stuff isn't really a prob on recessed trems though, esp. on the plain strings.
                              "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Working...
                              X