Dimarzio F-spacing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dimarzio F-spacing?

Measuring from the center of one pole piece to the center of the adjacent pole piece, how far?

Keith

p.s. And how much wood could a woodchuck chuck?
    The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Re: Dimarzio F-spacing?

I think this answers it .. at least I hope it does for you .. Basically it's close to 2 1/16

Trembuckers are designed for wider string most commonly associated with Floyd Rose or vintage vibrato bridges (often called Tremolos) with a string spacing of 2.070" or 52.6mm, measured center of high string to center of low string over the bridge pickup. Humbuckers are designed for bridges with traditional Gibson humbucker string spacing of 1.925" or 48.9mm, measured center of high string to center of low string over the bridge pickup. Humbucker spaced pickups work in both bridge and neck positions, even with a Trembucker-spaced bridge pickup. A quick and easy way to tell which you need is to measure from the middle of the high string to the middle of the low string, directly over the pickup. If the distance is greater than two inches or 50mm, go for a Trembucker. If it's less than two inches or 50mm, go for a humbucker.
    Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Thanks, Kevin - but if I'm reading that correctly, it assumes that the pup is installed and I can measure e to e. This pup isn't installed, and when I measure high pole to low pole, I get 55mm outside to outside, and 50 center of pole to center of pole.

Duh, I guess it does answer my question. 50mm center to center sounds like a 'standard' hum.

Thanks, Kev!
      Keith

Comment

According to John Suhr, 50mm c to c is standard spacing, 53 mm c to c is Fender spacing.

I'll have to get back to ya on the wood...right after dinner!

Comment

Won't dinner throw it off, though? Don't you have to be hungy to chuck wood?

K

Comment

Most people I know will tell you that using a regular humbucker in place of an F-spaced, or vice versa, will not make enough difference to be noticable.

Comment

That IS dinner!

Ace, I'm firmly in that camp, too.

Comment

Some people really freak out if the string is not directly over the pole but it makes no difference as far as tone.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Thanks, all. It was in the bridge on a JT6'ed guitar, and so far as I'm concerned, did a beautiful job there. But I'm getting rid of it, and was asked if it was f-spaced or not, and I didn't know. So it might matter to him, but it lined up close enough for me! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Thx,
                  K

Comment

JT6's are regular spaced, not F spaced.
                    The only thing I like about those bridges...

Comment

hee hee hee....Chuck is eating WOOD....hee hee

Comment

Working...
                      X