How thick are sharkfin inlays?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How thick are sharkfin inlays?

OK...A few of you know by now I am getting a laser engraver/cutter. It will do all sorts of cool stuff & all that. The problem I am having is that in the laser demo, I had them TRY to cut a complex shape out of a piece of MOP that was .050 thick. It's so hard, and it takes so much wattage, it wants to blister & burn. I can get inlay materials that are .010 thick, and cut them with ease. But, part of my plan was to be able to offer custom inlay's. Mainly for the "do it yourself'er". So my question is....How thick are the sharkie's on a USA Jackson? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]..... Anybody
    >>--HuntinDoug-->

Re: How thick are sharkfin inlays?

Maybe the sharks Jackson uses are not laser cut. Do you think they are cut or stamped out of the material? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
    Scott
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Newc....Sully....Anybody?
      >>--HuntinDoug-->

Comment

i have a scrap ke3 neck (with mop sharkies) that i was thinking of ripping apart to find this out (:

if i manage to get the inlays out intact, they might be worth it, hehehe....
        "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
        The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Wow...dude I'd hate for you to tear it up on my account. [img]/images/graemlins/eyes.gif[/img] Lemme know what you find when you do [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          >>--HuntinDoug-->

Comment

its broken anyway. i just use it to take measures meanwhile my replacement neck arrives. i'll make a little hole near one of the inlays and check.
            "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]

Comment

Cool....Thanks!
              >>--HuntinDoug-->

Comment

a biiiiiiiiiiiit less than a millimeter deep.

Comment

One Millimeter = .03937 inch...so I'm guessing 1/32" or .03125

Comment

Cool....Thanks fellas! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] The stuff I was trying to cut was .050" thick MOP. A little too thick for the hardness of the material. I think 1/32" is doable...If I can find it that is.

Hey Delt...Wanna sell whats left of that neck when the other one arrives. I will need a Guinne Pig when the machine gets here. Lemme know.... [email protected]
                    >>--HuntinDoug-->

Comment

You might see if the folks at Stew-Mac can help you. They sell pre-cut inlays (blocks, dots, etc.) and probably sell blanks of the same thickness.
                      sigpic

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        You might see if the folks at Stew-Mac can help you. They sell pre-cut inlays (blocks, dots, etc.) and probably sell blanks of the same thickness.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, thats where I got the .050" thick MOP. Thanks [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                        >>--HuntinDoug-->

Comment

> Mother Of Pearl is notorious for burning/melting when cutting it for inlay purposes,as I am experimenting with inlaying it into pool cues. Jackson probably uses some kind of small milling machine,or with Fender's influence,CNC milling. It surprises me that these neck inlays are only .050 deep,it that closest to the edge of the fretboard or in the middle? Inlay pockets in pool cues are cut .125 deep,in the middle of the pocket,then the excess is turned round,while a fretboard is only a segment of a circle,thus my curiosity. I have found it is best to use a specialized end mill for pearl,with Stew-Mac being the best source for these,unless you want to spend ALL day looking thru the MSC catalog. It's best to use a high speed,with light feeds,and taking light cuts. Tommy D.
                          "I'm going to try and work it out so at the end it's a pure guts race......because if it is.....I'm the only one that can win" - Steve Prefontaine

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            > I have found it is best to use a specialized end mill for pearl.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would think a 2 fluted high helix carbide end mill would work the best.
                            >>--HuntinDoug-->

Comment

> Those are pretty much what Stew-Mac sells,and yes,carbide is preferable to HSS in this case. They used to sell a 3 flute,high helix cutter that they claimed was made specifically for pearl,but can't find them. They also sell some 1/32 HSS router bits that might work. I have a set of end mills for inlay work that go down to .010,for cleanup cuts. I got the whole set at a flea market for 3 bucks,MSC sells the .010 for 19.88 EACH,and doing a complicated inlay in a pool cue you might break 5 of them. Hope this helps,Tommy D.
                              "I'm going to try and work it out so at the end it's a pure guts race......because if it is.....I'm the only one that can win" - Steve Prefontaine

Comment

Working...
                              X