Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

USA Jackson neck going south... what do I do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USA Jackson neck going south... what do I do?

I bought a USA Fusion about a year ago. It was in incredible condition, barely played. It worked flawlessly. However, over the course of a year it has developed an "s" in the neck... a hump, if you want to call it that. I just recently had it set up after getting sick of buzz I was getting and it was pointed out to me by the tech. He said that there wasn't much he could do except to file the frets to get it more even. Has anybody else dealt with this? Is there a remedy? I was considering calling jackson and asking them what they thought. It pisses me off that a USA jackson neck would do this...

Re: USA Jackson neck going south... what do I do?

Pull the frets, plane the fretboard, refret - but i'd have to see the neck to be sure this is the correct cure. Is it a rosewood board on a maple neck?
    Henrik
    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

I have no experience doing that type of wood work... much less any woodwork at all. Thats a bit over my head, and it sounds like spending a couple hundred dollars on a guitar only worth about 600. I'm thinking its just time for a new neck... [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

It is a rosewood board on a maple neck. The neck is the unlaquered type, as in you can see the wood, though I assume it has a coating of some type.

Comment

Buy a new neck.

Comment

Try backing the truss rod all the way slack (1 full turn counterclockwise - like a bottle top) and let it sit with a little string tension for maybe a week - not tuned to A=440, but just enough to get the strings tight and ALMOST pulling the tremolo forward. Try to get the tension on all the strings as even as you can.

Let it sit like that for a week (maybe 5 days) and then tighten the truss rod 1/4 turn, then go a few more days and tighten it again 1/4 turn, then a few more days and 1/4 turn, and then finally a few more days and 1/4 turn or whatever it takes to get the neck straight.
          Leave the strings with just a little tension on them, don't tighten them up until the last day, then let it sit a couple of days at full tension (A=440, regardless of what you normally tune to).

Newc
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Buy a new neck.

[/ QUOTE ]

gee, thanks... [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img] I couldn't have figured that one out myself.

Comment

Working...
            X