Wiring a PU in phase / out phase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring a PU in phase / out phase

on the old board i had a topic about my Dinky's bridge Hum sounding weird and with low output..after that i resoldered the ground which made it sound better (some more output)
    but i wasnt quite happy with the sound i was getting out of it, a few days ago a friend of mine came by, he owns a Fend0r Jagstang and said my bridge hum sounded like his jagstang when he's put it on out of phase..
    so i guess thats the problem..its out of phase (i had never heard an out of phase PU so i didnt recognise it)

how do i wire it in phase?
    here's a piccie

Re: Wiring a PU in phase / out phase

on the Seymour Duncan site they say its as easy as switching the hot and ground wire..
    just to make sure....is the black wire the hot and the green the ground in my current setup?

Comment

Are you saying the bridge pickup is out of phase with the other pickup in the guitar, or that the coils are out of phase?

If its the combination of two pickups, switching the hot lead to ground and the ground to hot will cure that.
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

i dont know....how do i check if its the combination or the coils?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          i dont know....how do i check if its the combination or the coils?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, does it sound out of phase when you use the pickup by itself or when you use it with another pickup?
          Blank yo!

Comment

when i use it by itself...so i guess then its the coils right? how do i fix that?

i wonder why the PU is out of phase, i guess the previous owner has made it like this, but why would anyone do that...

Comment

Well, the coils in a humbucker are supposed to be wired out of phase, so that's probably not the problem. It could be wired in parallel, which would be thinner, brighter and have less output. What brand of pickup is it?
              Blank yo!

Comment

its the original Jackson humbucker...
                it sounds nasal and really weak, even weaker then the single coil in the neck...

Comment

How about trying this - unwrap the red and white wire and make sure the solder connection there is good. You might be working with one coil. Re-solder that connection and give it a shot.
                  Blank yo!

Comment

ok thanks i'll try that

Comment

ok so i finally found the time to open her up..seems like the two red and white wire arent soldert toghether, just held together with a rubber sleeve, no tape... should i solder this?

Comment

Yes.
                        Blank yo!

Comment

Working...
                        X