Wood cracking at floyd mounting post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood cracking at floyd mounting post

The floyd-rose bridge on my PS-2 (OFR baseplate and mounting posts) was starting to give the "persistent note-bend" syndrome this morning, so i took off the strings to clean the knife edges and mounting posts.

I noticed a crack in the wood at an area that i suspected was a "critical" spot because a relatively small layer of wood has to deal with much tension from the bridge:

what kind of glue should i use to fix this before it snaps? (or: how long does this guitar have to live, doc [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] )

ALSO: i also have another floyd-equipped guitar, where the wood in that spot is even thinner. what should i do to prevent it from cracking? i was thinking of gluing another layer of wood with the grain going across to give better resistance.
    "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
    The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Re: Wood cracking at floyd mounting post

you can force epoxy into it with something pliable, but thin... like a business card. or you can fill it with superglue. it'll take a while to build the superglue up, but that's another option.

sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

thanks for the advice. what exactly do you mean by "build the superglue up" ?
      "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]

Comment

Try and pull that post from the body with your hands or gently with some tools. If you succeed, the crack will probably close itself.

If that happens, put the post back in, fill the crack with epoxy or superglue and quickly pull the post out again, let it dry, gently put the post back in. If the crack doesn't re-open you're done!
        Henrik
        AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

sorry, i assumed you got the post and bushing out already. add what i said to what henrik said! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

what i meant by building it up was many applications on top of each other. when you put super glue on wood, it soaks in, so you have to keep applying it until you fill it up completely. i would recommend epoxy first, tho.

sully
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

all right, thanks for the advice! if i don't repair it, it -will- break, right?

how about my other jackson, what should i put there to avoid it from cracking?

Comment

it'll get worse eventually, yeah.
              the only thing you can really do from keeping that from happening is not wanking on your bar like a psycho.

sully
              Sully Guitars on Google+
              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

heheheheh (: im not that abusive of the whammy bar!!

but can't i glue a piece of wood there or something, to make it stronger? (see first post above)

or better yet, a metal plate of some kind...?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  if i don't repair it, it -will- break, right?

[/ QUOTE ]
                  My DX-1 has the same crack and has had it since it was new in '97 or so. It has caused me 0 problems so far (knock on wood). What those above have said sound like a good fix, I've just been to lazy and will probably never get to it if it doesn't cause problems [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img].

Comment

thanks for the info (: if it breaks beyond repair, getting a new dinky/soloist body (or other shape) isn't very complicated or expensive anyways.

that crack has probably been there for months before i noticed it (: (: it's too narrow to ever get glue in there (as of yet) - like you said.... knock on wood (:

Comment

Wal-Mart sells a very thin super glue (tite bond)you can see in the bottle just how thin it is.This product is great for "bleeding" glue into a very small crack.Like was stated leave the trem post bushing in bleed in the super glue.Try not to get any on the bushing at this point,try to fill the crack up over two or three applications,pull the post bushing out and let the body go back together on its own.Let it sit for several hours even 24 hours then gently push the bushing back in you should be ready to go.I've done lots of guitars this way.As far as adding a piece of wood I wouldn't worry about it.
                      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                      X