NEED HELP QUICK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEED HELP QUICK

I changed the brand of cables going from my marshall heads effects loop to my tc electronics g force processor.They look exactly the same as the old ones just better quality.Well when I put the new cables in I get this uncontrollable squealing (almost like feedback)It happens with the guitars volume on or off.When I put the old cables back it goes away.I tested the new cables and the are fine.No shorts or bad connections.What can be causing this?Paul

Re: NEED HELP QUICK

It could be several things.
    -Bad cable tester
    -Different/wrong type of jacks on the new cables (i.e. stereo plugs when you need mono or mono jacks when you need stereo)
    -Loose pins in the fx loop jack that only act up with the new cables for whatever reason; try wiggling the plug in the jack and see if it goes away
    -One-way cables; turn the new cables around the other way.

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

This may sound stupid, but are they instrument cables or speaker cables? I'm not sure which you should use for a loop, but I know they are different. Maybe the new cables aren't shielded?

Jim
      "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

They are standard instrument cables that you use in the loop.They are not one way cables.I have turned them every way to check.I dont think there is anything wrong with the loop.Why would they work fine with one cable and not another.They have the standard 1/4 jack nothing really different about them than the one I was already using.Just better quality.They are mono cables that is what I am running.They are not the tip ring sleeve.

Comment

The "one-way cable" thing was a joke [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] It refers to a cable which is made so that the signal only flows in one direction (which isn't possible) [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Anyhoo, I'd say double check and make sure you're plugging the Amp's Send into the fx unit's In, and the fx unit's Out to the Amp's Return.
          Did you check the cables with a cable tester or a multimeter?

Newc
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Eric Johnson insists on his cables being used "one way", but he's a nutcase. Also if I remmebr correctly, there is a component that you can wire into your cable to make it work only one way, but there is no reson to do it, so it's never done. Anyways, try using your new cables to plug straight into your head from your guitar WITHOUT the G-Force in the FX loop. If they make the same noise, the cables are bad, no matter what the tester says.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              They have the standard 1/4 jack nothing really different about them than the one I was already using.Just better quality.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you tried out these cables with another system? Like someone else's amp, or just use each one from the guitar to the amp, one at a time, to see if they work there without noise? Not sure what else to do. These are fully shielded, right? Damn high quality cables! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Working...
              X