Scale length ? question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scale length ? question

As I have improved on guitar I have noticed that the higher frets on my Dinky seem a bit too small for my liking, also the strings are harder to bend than on strat type guitars that I have played. Is this due to the scale length? If so, which Jackson guitars would suit me better?

Re: Scale length ? question

Hmm, other typical Strat-style guitars commonly have the same scale as the Dinky, 25.5". The frets on your Dinky are too small for your liking? Aren't they already jumbo frets? Or are you talking about fret spacing? The longer the scale length, the further apart the fret spaces will be. This creates a longer neck, which adds more tension, which may make it harder to bend and fret notes. So what is it that you want, easier bending (go with a short scale) or larger fretwire?

Me is confuzzled. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

The fret spacing is too small, sorry for not being clear about that.

Comment

I cant understand it either because the guitar I played today at school was a yamaha pacifica. It was a lot easier to get a good wide vibrato on. So what are the scale lengths on other Jacksons? I was thinking of getting an SLS or an SL2H.

Comment

Alrighty then, you probably want a scale length longer than the typical Fender scale of 25.5" which your Dinky is in. The Jackson DK27 and new DK27D baritones (27" scale length) are probably what you want. Depending on the gauge of strings you put on it, you may experience INCREASED string tension, and may be tougher to bend and fret notes. Typically, baritones are for lower tunings, although nobody says you have to follow this rule. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

The DK27 is slightly older, equipped with EMG-HZs, while the DK27D is newer and is equipped with DiMarzio pickups.

Comment

Ok, I'll look into it then. So just say I tried a soloist out, would I find it even harder to bend strings or would the frets be even closer together?? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Comment

The frets on a 24-fret Soloist or Dinky would be a little closer together as you get higher up the neck on its 25.5" scale than on a Fender Strat with the same scale length that typically has 22 frets. Playing and bendability should be about the same, though.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

A Soloist has a 25.5" scale neck. I find mine to be very playable.

Also consider the gauge of strings on any given guitar. I used to have 10-46 gauge strings on my Soloist, then I switched to 9-46 and it's made a HUGE difference. I LOVE playing that guitar.

To be truthful, I think I've only ever played one 24.75" scale neck, and that was a cheapo Les Paul copy almost four years ago, so I don't even count it. As far as I'm concerned, I was born to play 25.5" scale necks. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Ok thanks, I sorry for being a dumbass

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    The frets on a 24-fret Soloist or Dinky would be a little closer together as you get higher up the neck on its 25.5" scale than on a Fender Strat with the same scale length that typically has 22 frets. Playing and bendability should be about the same, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] The only difference will be the extra two frets on the 24 fret neck. Witht he same scale length, they should otherwise be the same with respect to this issue.

And, no that doesn't mean you can swap out a 22 fret neck for a 24 fretter! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Not at all. Always like seeing interesting questions on the JCF. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Try going down a string gauge on the Dinky. If you still don't like it, you have an excuse to buy a new Soloist or whatever. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Yeah!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        [ QUOTE ]

And, no that doesn't mean you can swap out a 22 fret neck for a 24 fretter! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently you CAN. I think Warmoth makes a 22-fret neck pocketed neck that has an extended fretboard with two more frets. So, it's essentially a 24-fret neck that will fit into a 22-fret neck pocket. Problems include the overhanging frets cutting into your neck pickup, and you have to reach even further to reach frets 23 and 24. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Right. That Warmoth approach is goofy.

But it won't work if swapping a 22 fret Jackson or Charvel neck for a 24 fretter. The neck pocket placements are not the same.

Comment

Warmoth also makes a 24-fret 24.75" scale neck that's the same size as their regular 22-fretters... just barely an overhang. It wasn't listed on their site last time I checked, but someone there (Greg?) emailed me and said it was available.
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Dang, what happened to my quoting in my last reply? That's messed up! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I'm not handy with tools, but if I were, I'd put a 24-fret Dinky neck onto a regular Rhoads body and have myslf a 24-fret Rhoads like Bobvex made. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] The neck cut into the neck pickup cavity so he only has a bridge pickup. Interesting stuff. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X